Doeling with small lump in neck

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm probably over reacting but I have a little lamancha doeling..doing awesome super healthy eating etc... She's 3 1/2 weeks old. While feeding the goats this morning I was holding her and noticed a little "knot" about the size of a pea on her neck. It seemed kind of uncomfortable but wouldn't move around. Her momma is CAE free, she's been tested --and I know it's not possible to get a good result on a test with a kid under 6mths. I was just wondering if it might be like a lymphnode or something?? She was disbudded a week ago. Her belly button/cord looks good. Should I be concerned?? She's totally fine otherwise no fevers, she's bouncing around eating and happy... Shoud I just watch it and see?? I didn't see any cut or anything like that, but I'm not out there 24/7 to see her every move.. Any suggestions? It's not noticible unless you are feeling her neck, and then like I said, it's about the size of a small pea..or the tip of a pencil eraser.... Thank you for any advice/suggestions :)!

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had a LamanchaX doeling with this. I never figured out what it was - it didn't grow either way, and it was a knot, not a pussy lump, so I never worried too much.
If you are worried, I would have the vet check her out - test her for CL not just CAE. CL is the one that causes abscesses.

Maybe someone will have better info for you, but that would be the first place I'd check - especially if it is in a lymph area.

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It's not pussy or anything - just a knot .... And like I said mom is certifiably CAE free... Where else could it come from ?? Can they just " get it "???

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No injections, just noticed the little " bump " this morning.Can a kid get CAE/ CL without any other goat in the herd being " positive"??? If so how?? Wouldn't she have different symptoms other than a tiny lump?? From what I've read she'd have fevers and weakness etc going on too right??

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It could just be a bug bite, like maybe a sting from a bee or a bite from a mosquito.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It is probably something else. At 3.5 weeks old, she really is too young to have CL and if mom is CAE negative, then she really shouldn't have it.

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I never thought of a bug bite :)-- could be... No other symptoms, I'm a first timer with new "kids" so every little thing makes me nervous :)!!! Thanks for the help!!

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would just keep an eye on it, she is too young for cl, I had one that had a stopped up salviary gland, could be a number of things, but if you don't mess with it and keep an eye on it, should be okay.