Does she look pregnant?

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So that means she can be up to six weeks pregnant, but no more than that, and likely less since he may not have bred her right away. Gestation is 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, so you can kind of have a guess at due dates.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just reached back out to the previous owners only to find out that they were exposed to a male before we got them… we got them exactly 80 days ago today. So it’s likely that they are further along than we originally thought.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ehem…welp, couple hours later…
IMG_6540.jpeg
IMG_6538.jpeg
IMG_6537.jpeg

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just reached back out to the previous owners only to find out that they were exposed to a male before we got them… we got them exactly 80 days ago today. So it’s likely that they are further along than we originally thought.
I wonder why they didn't tell you they could be possibly bred when you got them?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, that sure explains things... and you are going to have to feed her as good as you can in order for her to make some milk at this young age... Shame that they did not tell you before hand... and actually, shame that they had exposed these gilts to a boar at that young of an age... just because of them trying now to make milk and they are still growing...
Try to make sure that you see all of them getting on a teat... and if for any reason her milk seems to be slow, get some oxytocin to help with the let down.... you'll need to talk to the vet for that...
If you have access to milk, make her a gruel with milk in her pellets so she will eat more and the calcium in it will help her also.
Pigs look real good... sure hope she can take care of them. That's alot of pigs for such a young gilt...
If she can keep them fed for 7-10 days or so, you can introduce them to some milk in a flat pan... I raised piglets from 3 days old on milk in a flat pan when a sow had a blockage and died... never went the nipple route, and they learned really quick...

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, that sure explains things... and you are going to have to feed her as good as you can in order for her to make some milk at this young age... Shame that they did not tell you before hand... and actually, shame that they had exposed these gilts to a boar at that young of an age... just because of them trying now to make milk and they are still growing...
Try to make sure that you see all of them getting on a teat... and if for any reason her milk seems to be slow, get some oxytocin to help with the let down.... you'll need to talk to the vet for that...
If you have access to milk, make her a gruel with milk in her pellets so she will eat more and the calcium in it will help her also.
Pigs look real good... sure hope she can take care of them. That's alot of pigs for such a young gilt...
If she can keep them fed for 7-10 days or so, you can introduce them to some milk in a flat pan... I raised piglets from 3 days old on milk in a flat pan when a sow had a blockage and died... never went the nipple route, and they learned really quick...
Thanks for the advice!! She ended up having 6 but 2 were stillborn so she’s got the four for now…she just went back to where she gave birth to the rest tho so no telling if she has more😰

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She ended up having 6 but 2 were stillborn so she’s got the four for now…she just went back to where she gave birth to the rest tho so no telling if she has more😰
Our pigs always had all of their piglets before getting up, but I guess you never know. I would weigh the piglets for the first few weeks to make sure they are gaining properly, but hopefully she can produce enough milk for the 4.