Does the heat affect the milk volume?

Bryannjamie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This week we have had abnormally high temps in Ohio, and I have noted a big reduction in the volume of milk I receive. There is always water, and I make sure hay in abundant as I heard that increases milk production. I have been told to increase feed as well but the girls don't seem interested in it, versus the bucks who are like pigs. Any thoughts?

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Short answer - yes. At the fair last weekend in CT, a number of us were talking about how poor milk production is right now due to the temps >90. The goats don't want to eat more because the hay and grain cause additional internal heat.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, our milk production goes way down when it's hot. Myself and a lot of the breeders out here will offer dilute electrolyte water in hopes of getting them to drink more. It works a bit, my goats love the apple flavored electrolytes. :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Milk production goes down, appetite goes down, weight goes down. It is really tough on people that show goats when they are in a hot climate.

I should try the electrolytes; never thought of that. I wonder if I put molasses in their water if they would drink more. HMMM

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I started adding some apple cider vinegar to the water because I know it is good for them and helps to keep the water fresher. MAN I swear the water consumption doubled when I started that. I think they really like it. I don't use much, I wanted to ease them into it so they would not go off water, you know how picky they can be. But so far not an issue!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
babsbag said:
Milk production goes down, appetite goes down, weight goes down. It is really tough on people that show goats when they are in a hot climate.

I should try the electrolytes; never thought of that. I wonder if I put molasses in their water if they would drink more. HMMM
I don't think mine would like molasses, and you would have to stir it a bunch, but they sure love horse electrolytes! :lol: