does the milk bag size have anything tto do with sex of baby?

heathen

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi I have been having another wonderfull discusion with a friend and he says he read in one of our goat books that the size of the milk bag is a good indicator of what sex baby or babies you will have. He says the larger the milk bag the more likely you are to have bucks born? We have also been arguing if a billy dictates sex of kids or if some year are buck years and others doe years. Any insights personal or refeerences. I am of the opinion your buck dictates sex of kids but temp foods influence it and the doe has nothing to do with sex. I am also of the opinion that some goats have biger milk bags than others and what she is eating helps her have more or less milk.

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Basic biology tells me that the size of a doe's udder has nothing to do with the sex of the babies. The two are not connected at all. The sperm that reaches the egg carries the information that determines sex but many factors influence which sperm reaches the egg. Some bucks may well produce sperm that is heavily on the male or female side but other factors such as temperature and ph of the doe also influence which sperm make the journey. I'm sure someone else has more to add, but that is basic sexual reproduction.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Udder size is not indicative of kid gender.

Gender is determined by the buck who sires the kids. The doe supplies one X chromosome and the buck supplies either and X or a Y chromosome. Some believe that one swims faster than the other or that certain acidity level can influence the situation.

heathen

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks you two. Now Just so you know I have already done my dance and said haha told you so!!!:bun

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If anyone figures out how to influence the sex of the kids, I'm sure they could market it. ;)

I'd buy it!