Don't ask me if you don't want to know

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
Ugh, I know exactly how you feel. My SIL will NOT even eat our chicken eggs, and makes faces and comments about them anytime she sees us collecting them or using them in our cooking. Sweetheart, that meal from McDonald's you are sucking down is---hang on----wait for it---from an ANIMAL!
:lol: I do not understand that at all. If my own family wants to buy milk from the store while I have so much I am pouring it down the drain, I don't get that either.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
People are just too far removed from their food. While I don't process my own animals, I will take them to a processor and put them in the freezer. I think it is great if you process your own meat. Luckily my family understands and has enjoyed meat and eggs from my farm.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The part I CANNOT understand is why it bothers people that you are eating your OWN animals! I can understand it a little if they're vegetarians (ho-hum), and I can understand why people can't eat their own animals, but why does it bother that you do?

My pet peeve is the, 'but is it worth it' (i.e. time and money). Well, obviously WE think it is, or we wouldn't do it! And half the time these are people that spend their free time playing golf, skiing, entertaining, etc.

I posted a link a while back about a college that wanted to butcher an injured working ox and use the meat in their cafeteria. Protesters actually threatened the local slaughterhouse and their family. The ox ended up being euthanized by medication and the meat was wasted. Of all the animals (not to mention people!) who need help and resources, this is how they chose to spend weeks of their time and however much money it took to come from all over the country to prevent one old ox from being utilized.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cricket said:
The part I CANNOT understand is why it bothers people that you are eating your OWN animals! I can understand it a little if they're vegetarians (ho-hum), and I can understand why people can't eat their own animals, but why does it bother that you do?
I think we have entered an age of where people believe they have the right to tell you what to do, even if what you are doing isn't against the law or morally unethical. Combine that with ignorance and you have a dangerous combination.

A hundred years ago, no one would think twice about it. I think our society is so used to going to the store and buying stuff that it has totally removed people from their food sources. Ksalvagno is absolutely right. People just don't know and don't care about where their food comes from.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Haha we have the opposite! When we're showing family pics of chickens and rabbits they're all "Is this one we're going to eat?" lol. I feel so lucky when I see things about people's families turning their nose up at their eggs, milk or meat. We give our family these things often and they say it's like Christmas.