Don't have sheep, just wondering if this normal

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I have no clue if that's normal or not (the price) but I'd not pay it. I guess they think his third horn is unique enough to charge that much. You can't eat horns though!

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, it is quite normal not to have sheep, many people don't :)

I would tend to wonder whether the ram in question has maybe some Jacob blood in him, which would account for the extry horn in a higher-probability way than 'a separate mutation'.

I agree they are nuts, but OTOH you only have to find *one* sucker to pay a buncha money and that's all it takes to make a tidy profit :p

Pat

rebecca100

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm thinking part Jacob too. It is not unusual for a Jacob to have 4 or 6 horns. There are a couple of other breeds that have extra horns.

Theykeepmebusy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Yes, it is quite normal not to have sheep, many people don't :)

I would tend to wonder whether the ram in question has maybe some Jacob blood in him, which would account for the extry horn in a higher-probability way than 'a separate mutation'.

I agree they are nuts, but OTOH you only have to find *one* sucker to pay a buncha money and that's all it takes to make a tidy profit :p

Pat
:yuckyuck I'm actually thinking about adding some sheep here, from my google 'n' people like to hunt them and it's grand to have that on your wall....... :idunno

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some strains of Barbados sheep are multi-horned as well. I know that Jacob breeders prefer an even number of horns, so I think in that breed a 3-horned animal would be worth less than a 4-horned or probably a nice 2-horned, for aesthetic reasons. I don't know if that's a reasonable price for a multi-horn Barbados or not, but I bet someone would pay it because it's a weird sheep.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Don't know if it's normal or not...

Kind of looks like he has a pinwheel on his head though :gig

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That's strange looking. I'd much rather pay for a normal American Blackbelly with a gorgeous set of normal horns.....for less money too! Someone will probably pay it though, just because it's different.

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Barbados rams sell for 250 on average around here. He does look like he has a good body and build on him. I'd have to see the bloodlines and things like that before I'd be able justify prices.