Drip-less water bottle Q, help!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought 2 new flip top push valve water bottles. I have no idea if the rabbits will get it or not, I didn't even really get it. They leak from the screw on spout, ugh and the flip top sucks, you can't even fill it all the way, it just all comes apart...
The rabbits are 6mo and used to regular ball ends.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
secuono said:
I bought 2 new flip top push valve water bottles. I have no idea if the rabbits will get it or not, I didn't even really get it. They leak from the screw on spout, ugh and the flip top sucks, you can't even fill it all the way, it just all comes apart...
I use a very different type of push-valve, (easy) top-fill water bottle that does not fall apart and that are 100% leakless. I don't like or trust the type you described. What type did you get?

I'd keep giving them their trustworthy watering method until you can get the water bottle situation straightened out 100%.

Once the bottle situation is worked out, and making sure they always have a source of water in the mean time, just jiggling the valve and/or holding it in with a finger to attract them to inspect it and realize water comes out, is usually enough to get them to mess it with it themselves and figure it out in just a few supervised attempts. They usually get the water to come out accidently after a couple of times that way and so then realize how it works. Even switching from an open dish is usually easy and quick.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
dewey said:
secuono said:
I use a very different type of push-valve, (easy) top-fill water bottle that does not fall apart and that are 100% leakless. I don't like or trust the type you described. What type did you get?

I'd keep giving them their trustworthy watering method until you can get the water bottle situation straightened out 100%.

Once the bottle situation is worked out, and making sure they always have a source of water in the mean time, just jiggling the valve and/or holding it in with a finger to attract them to inspect it and realize water comes out, is usually enough to get them to mess it with it themselves and figure it out in just a few supervised attempts. They usually get the water to come out accidently after a couple of times that way and so then realize how it works. Even switching from an open dish is usually easy and quick.
Agree with dewey's suggestion about giving them their trustworthy watering method until you figure out the bottles. Rabbits who don't drink, don't eat. My rabbits have an open bowl, but they were raised on bottles. I think every breeder uses bottles and I understand it, so I will be looking into bottles as well. Also agree, once you figure it out and keep the water in it, the rabbits will figure it out too. They are pretty smart little creatures. :)

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
dewey said:
secuono said:

Agree with dewey's suggestion about giving them their trustworthy watering method until you figure out the bottles. Rabbits who don't drink, don't eat. My rabbits have an open bowl, but they were raised on bottles. I think every breeder uses bottles and I understand it, so I will be looking into bottles as well. Also agree, once you figure it out and keep the water in it, the rabbits will figure it out too. They are pretty smart little creatures. :)
What's been said x 2
I'm not really a fan of the flip top bottles, but I haven't found one that is made well either. What kind do you use dewey? I'm partial to our good ole Bass bottles. Tough as nails and haven't had one leak yet.
Crocks aren't any worse or better than water bottles, imo. I think it's a question of what works the best for your rabbits. If they like the crocks and don't jump in them every single chance they get (we tried crocks once for a brief period and our buns thought they were swimming pools!! :rolleyes:), I'd stick with that. I've heard of breeders putting a ball in the water dish (maybe on this board? don't remember) so the rabbits couldn't splash around in it or something like that. That being said I do prefer water bottles; they can't poop in them or try to swim or spill them into their tray and soak their bedding LOL.

Legacy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I bought some of the ones the op described. My rabbits never did get it.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I gave them a ton of mixes grasses last night, they went nuts over them.
I got them from Petsmart, All Living Things Flip Top Water Bottle. Pic below.
They had a ball one, it had a spring behind it, but I thought since there is a ball, it'll still leak. Can't return these now, the packaging is gone.
pPETS-3757799t400.jpg

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
These are the no-leak bottles I use...
Bottle with valve: http://www.mortonjones.com/detail.php?product_code=317 (also in square)
Pic of valve tip: http://www.mortonjones.com/detail.php?product_code=650
(The bottles come with the valves already assembled into the bottles.)

Those same valves are also used for automatic watering systems that many breeders use, so just about any rabbit should get the hang of them with only a couple of licks. They simply lick it just they lick the ball type...one or 2 licks and they figure out water comes out. Probably less than a 1/2" of the valve tip is inside the cage.

One of my rabbits just pushes it with the side of his nose and lets the water run into his mouth as he laps it up :D...lazy guy.

For water crocks, a rock can also be placed in them...usually handy, and can't beat the price. ;)

Secuono, as long as you have the receipt most places like that will usually take stuff back without packaging.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
dewey said:
These are the no-leak bottles I use...
Bottle with valve: http://www.mortonjones.com/detail.php?product_code=317 (also in square)
Pic of valve tip: http://www.mortonjones.com/detail.php?product_code=650
(The bottles come with the valves already assembled into the bottles.)

Those same valves are also used for automatic watering systems that many breeders use, so just about any rabbit should get the hang of them with only a couple of licks. They simply lick it just they lick the ball type...one or 2 licks and they figure out water comes out. Probably less than a 1/2" of the valve tip is inside the cage.

One of my rabbits just pushes it with the side of his nose and lets the water run into his mouth as he laps it up :D...lazy guy.

For water crocks, a rock can also be placed in them...usually handy, and can't beat the price. ;)

Secuono, as long as you have the receipt most places like that will usually take stuff back without packaging.
Thanks for posting the example of what you use dewey. Appreciate it. Now I know what you are talking about and can imagine how the bunnies would use it.

X2 on the return without packaging. Get your receipt and go get what you want for your bunnies. :)

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, thanks much and you're very welcome. No problem at all...glad for anything that might help another save buns and $$ just starting out and that also has ease of use. :)

I have a lot of rabbits and bottles are (no doubt) more work than auto (like terri has switched over to if you see her posts). I intend to switch over in the near future, but cannot imagine using those leaky type bottles even for just a couple of rabbits when so much better is available.