Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You have a pretty flock. I have a mixed flock I hatched. I had a pen of 1 Wellsummer hen, 1 Cream Legbar hen, 3 Easter Eggers and 1 EE rooster. I set eggs from them and now have 14 hens from them. My next chickens are going to be White Rocks.
Thank you! I love my mixed flock. Those would give you some pretty chickens! I'm hoping to get an Olive Egger next year from my Marans Rooster, my friend and I are making a trade, she's giving me a Cream Legbar for one of my Marans Roosters! Can't wait to try! I think I'm going to need more space for my chickens...don't tell my husband yet...lol

I just looked up the White Rock...sounds like you will get a good supply of eggs from them! Are you also thinking of meat production?

I might buy some Chantecler chickens for meat production! I think they make weight at 11 weeks and they are supposed to lay pretty good!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have two olive eggers, the eggs are so pretty. I like the colored eggs. White rocks are good layers, and have a good carcass. The roosters are calm and not mean. My EE rooster is now in the freezer. He attacked me for the last time! I went ballistic on him and beat him with a bucket. I gave his hens to a disabled couple and we butchered him. Talk about dark meat! He will be real tasty. LOL

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have two olive eggers, the eggs are so pretty. I like the colored eggs. White rocks are good layers, and have a good carcass. The roosters are calm and not mean. My EE rooster is now in the freezer. He attacked me for the last time! I went ballistic on him and beat him with a bucket. I gave his hens to a disabled couple and we butchered him. Talk about dark meat! He will be real tasty. LOL
We had a mean Banty rooster, he attacked my mom and my husband says I'm done with that bird, but didn't deal with it right away! Probably a week later, he was at the edge of the lawn and doing something with the grapes, that rooster came up and nailed him in the face...but didn't do to much damage...Dale went in the house, grabbed the shotgun, came back outside & didn't see the little jerk, so he called and that dumb cluck came running across the yard to attack again...boom, chicken & dumplin's! 😂 Sometimes that is all that they are good for!

I want green eggs, right now I'm hoping my EE's will lay blue ones!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today was a hodgepodge of different things! Dale spent some more time on the fence & was able to level out the top pretty good. We ran into an issue we knew might happen, but hoped wouldn't...when we tightened the fence the posts near the gate weren't firm enough. So Dale hooked a chain between the post & tractor to straighten it up. We are going to add a stake & wire to keep it in place & when it's more firm we will remove it.

We made a dump run of all of the useless junk that had built up out here in the back corner. What a good feeling to get rid of it.

We also picked up a bunch of berry plants from a friend. We have thornless blackberries, thornless raspberries, currants, Josta Berry, gooseberry & strawberries. We are going to plant everything but the strawberries along the chicken pen fence.
20200508_200219.jpg

20200508_195121.jpg

20200508_195103.jpg

Last edited:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We got the fence gate posts secure & decided that we will probably leave the wire & put something a little nicer than the black pot to keep us from tripping over it.

20200509_190600.jpg

Then we took turns pounding some rocks with a sledgehammer so we can get the mower through.
20200509_171650.jpg

20200509_175617.jpg

Now Dale is playing with fire...his reward...😂
20200509_185932.jpg

Got our workout in for the day!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is some tough work for sure!!....:bow...something ya can do with the wire is to get a can off flourescent colored spray paint and give it a coat or 2....or get some holiday garland and wrap it.....no need to be tripping over it, or kicking the bucket....🤣
We will be feeling it tomorrow! Those are both great ideas! I like the idea of the holiday garland...I'm ready for a holiday and I definitely don't want to kick the bucket to get one! 😂