Dry Yearling Bagging Up, Solid Bag

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, yesterday when I looked it was an amber glob. Not a string. I remember the string from when my other doe kidded. Same color though. This morning everything was smeared. My DH held her so I could try and get a pic. She used to be the sweetest thing and loved to be loved but now she does not want us to hold her. While struggling she actually pushed out some white "stuff". I was able to get a very blurry picture of that.

8402_photo.jpg

This is a clear picture after her tail wiped away the white.

8402_photo_1.jpg

Her ligaments are hard and her udder is still hard. Not like a rock, just hard.
Isn't there a discharge when they are in heat? What does it look like? (Edited to ask this)

My other doe had amber goo 2 days before she kidded and her ligaments were soft the week leading up to it. This doe was a pain in the but and turned into the sweetest thing ever leading up to her kidding. She is still sweet but I hate her daughter... Pain in the butt. *side note* I was thinking that after her daughter kidded she would be sweet as well, so I have kept her. However, I then realized that any of her daughters will probably be as big a pain as they were. Evil cycle. This line will be leaving my little ranch soon...

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is common to see a whitish discharge at the end of a doe's heat cycle. Usually, when they are at the receptive stage they may have a discharge but it is usually clear and not that easy to see. The whitish discharge usually signals the end of their receptive stage. An amber colored blob would make me think impending birth... Other than the udder development, does she look big, fat and pregnant?

Not sure what's up with your gal other than she's doing a good job of making life crazy, lol.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
*Yes, she is doing a great job making life "interesting" lol*

All of my goats free range over our 32 acres. they are all healthy and larger than others I have seen. Not obese... But the doe who kidded in Feb was always huge around the middle (fat) and got really huge before kidding. She is still big. This doe does not have a huge middle but she isn't skinny either. I just don't know! This is so frustrating! :he When they make their way back up to the house I will get some pics of her.

I know most of you are thinking that I should have separated the buck. This was my plan until the end of Feb and the sequester in the gov. My DH works for DOE as contractor. Without a gov budget most DOE jobs are on hold. Since Jan he has only worked 4 months. This has hurt us deeply and we simply could not afford the fencing among Many other things. Now we are just trying to hold on to our house and land and animals. Waiting and hoping that we will still have it by the time they figure out a budget so he can go back to work. For those who don't know, that MIGHT happen in Jan/Feb of this Next year...

Anyway, this potential unsure breeding was not because we are just lazy or ignorant. It is going to be even harder for us in the spring trying to figure out when the other 5 might kid. We are doing our best with our now limited means. We were planning on drying up our milker because we are not going to be able to afford the grain in another month. We have a freezer full of milk to keep us going through the winter. This brings me to another question. If we can not afford more grain, and this doe kids, how long do you think she will produce milk? I will find a way to provide grain until kid(s) are weaned but then?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well - she is truly a conundrum! I will say that I had a pygmy doe that had triplets once and I didn't even think she was bred until literally a couple days before she kidded when she brew an udder. I have no idea where she was hiding those babies....and then she popped out three of 'em.

So, it's possible your doe could be bred - but I dunno!

I think I'd be tempted to go out and kick her around some just cuz she's such a trouble maker, lol! Just kidding - I am not into violence against defenseless animals. :lol: But wow - all I can say now is 'time will tell.'

Good luck!

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know! So frustrating! Wish we could have put up the fencing so I would Know! Good news on that head, DH just got a call not 3 minutes ago. He is heading to Illinois(?) for work. Fencing will be done by Spring!

At this point I am hoping she will just have some kids in the next 2.5 weeks... My mother-in-law only visits in the fall and has never seen the kids. She is leaving in 3 weeks. Naturally, this means that IF she is pregnant she will kid as we are driving mother to the airport....

Either way, I am just going to keep an eye on her and see. Not much else I can do. She is such a terd, why can't she be obvious?

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am a newbie, but I would bet that she will kid. I am going to be following this thread though. It really has me interested, plus I really want to see her kid/s when they get here. I would personally separate her for observation if it were me, maybe with a gentle friend.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
This doe sounds like a few of my ewes...they did NOT read the manual :lol:

My chickens did not read it either...someone asked me once when visiting and seeing my critters...is this normal???? Normal??? For them yes...they like to keep me guessing and drive me crazy!

Best you can do is keep an eye on her...who knows????

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Nubian was not a lot fatter than yours and had triplets. Can you draw blood? You can send it away for a pregenancy test at BioTracking.com.