Dumb cow questions

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I noticed in another post someone indicated a hairy calf is an unhealthy calf, possibly wormy. I have a calf I've been babying. He is getting calf manna, alfalfa pellets, horse hay bedding, mineral block, beef block, sweet feed treats and 4 acres of pasture he is sharing with another slightly older calf I got for company. He is a weaned too soon auction calf that wouldn't take a bottle. I thought he was doing well except for his winter coat is coming in darker and very curly and no extra padding. The other calf's coat is staying the same texture she is a little older and bigger and much more lively. The calf I'm concerned about from day one has been calm and slow reacting and has been easy to halter break groom and general doesn't care much what you do with him. (I like his temperament) He eats well, but isn't as fat and sleek as I'd like though growing in height and size in general and now he has curls from head to tail. A friend suggested pouring vegetable oil on his food to up his fat content/good bad idea??? I'm pretty confident the calf manna is high enough in protein but I'm a little uneasy with the anise scent. Is that really a flavor cows like? Are curls a good or bad indicator for healthy development. He is a charbray bull calf originally almost white, now he is turning a dark grey.

california cowgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like that breeds color and they can get a bit darker and even curly hair I believe. Charolais can be white or kinda grey or a dirty mousey grey. Some are curly haired I believe. Does the coat look shiny and soft or is it rough and dull not healthy looking? Any calf that has gotten a rough start and like you said did not want a bottle and had to wean and grow off of milk and start on regular food will be a late bloomer. Worming is good don't know if you have ever wormed but they do need that. They can look dull and usually get the poopy tail and or really stink. Worming is good but that will delay any sale for I think it is depending on what brand and if you use pour on vs injectable I think the withdrawl time for injectable Ivermetrin is around 60 days. Calves will look seedy and not as vigorious if they have had a rough start. Will be sluggish and sound like he is getting a good diet from you. Might want to look into some probiotics to put into his manna and or grain mix called Fast Tracks...looks like ground up cereal. Helps with digestion. If his poop looks normal like the other calf then he should be okay if you think he is sick call your vet. The vegetable oil I do not think gives them extra protein or energy I think that is corn oil that does that but I would ask a vet what kind. Do not want to put a strain on his digestive system unless he needs something like that. Might just be a late bloomer.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
california cowgirl said:
Sounds like that breeds color and they can get a bit darker and even curly hair I believe. Charolais can be white or kinda grey or a dirty mousey grey. Some are curly haired I believe. Does the coat look shiny and soft or is it rough and dull not healthy looking? Any calf that has gotten a rough start and like you said did not want a bottle and had to wean and grow off of milk and start on regular food will be a late bloomer. Worming is good don't know if you have ever wormed but they do need that. They can look dull and usually get the poopy tail and or really stink. Worming is good but that will delay any sale for I think it is depending on what brand and if you use pour on vs injectable I think the withdrawl time for injectable Ivermetrin is around 60 days. Calves will look seedy and not as vigorious if they have had a rough start. Will be sluggish and sound like he is getting a good diet from you. Might want to look into some probiotics to put into his manna and or grain mix called Fast Tracks...looks like ground up cereal. Helps with digestion. If his poop looks normal like the other calf then he should be okay if you think he is sick call your vet. The vegetable oil I do not think gives them extra protein or energy I think that is corn oil that does that but I would ask a vet what kind. Do not want to put a strain on his digestive system unless he needs something like that. Might just be a late bloomer.
X2! :thumbsup
Aslong as he is eating and drinking good, and bowel movements are normal, he sounds fine!

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Violetsky, I don't remember what breed or age the calf you have is, or if you mentioned it in previous posts, but would you be so kind as to repost the breed and age of the calf again? (Just so I have a better idea of what we're talking about here) Thanks. :)

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is an early picture. He doesn't have scours or look sickly, his coat is shiny, curly and darkening quite a bit. I will try to get a recent picture. I've been worming using the alfalfa pelleted wormer.

5482_img_6742.jpg

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just went out today and forgot to bring my camera. The original question was about the change in the quality of his fur relating to health. He is now darker and has lots of curls. I had heard being extra hairy was a sign of poor healthy.???

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would think this time of year the extra hair is just his winter coat......Curls and all

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
treeclimber233 said:
I would think this time of year the extra hair is just his winter coat......Curls and all
I concur. It is getting very close to winter time. December is just over a month away. Already, up here, we've had us a nice little cold spell with a couple of cold nights--some places the temperature went down to around -15C. Already had a bit of snow this past weekend. It's about time the animals start putting on their winter coats.

With animals, you can expect their hair colour to get darker in the winter and lighter in the summer. It's got something to do with photoperiods or more exposure to sunlight. One of the folks on here that frequent this part of the forum has (or had) one calf that did just that.

So I wouldn't worry, Violet. :)

california cowgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Maybe next time a nice full body photo and we can see but I have to think the winter hair is coming in. Good appetite and good poop and all plumbing working and nothing out of the ordinary from the other calf if they seem like they both are acting the same eating the same and have a bright clear look to them and perky than it is just winter hair. A nice picture so we can see your lovely baby.