Early labour ... I think - New pics

marilyn1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are so darling. Good luck with your nex ones. Yea for girls.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, that's my kidding season done, went out after supper, re-charged batteries in the camera to find that Holly, my white Pygora/ND cross, bred to Felix a creamy white ND buck had delivered a single big buckling, totally black with wavy hair. He has just a sprig of white on his forehead and was up and very lively. She is a FF but certainly knew what to do. Isn't it amazing? He found the teat and nursed pretty well. So, Patsy, my ND who is black and white, bred to Felix as well was obviously in labour and in the same stall as Holly, I tried to move Holly and her buckling to the next stall with Ivy and her two but she wasn't having any part of it, so back in they went with Patsy. Now, Patsy is the first baby I ever owned, got her at two weeks old and bottle fed her, so she's my special girl, also the one I thought for sure would go first of all them but she had different plans, guess she figured she was saving best for last. Anyway, she's pushing and crying and I was worried so I put on a glove and got down on my creaky arthritic knees and did a sort of membrane sweep thing, not really sure what I was seeing, seemed like three big bubbles and I thought OMG, they're all tangled up in there, but then very quickly the first one swished out. Little buckling, black and white exactly like his mom, she took to licking him like crazy and he was very vigorous, another couple of pushes and out came the second, a little doe, also black and white, so I cleared the gunk off, boy is that stuff slippery and Patsy had her cleaned up in no time. Both up and looking for the teat, trying everywhere, even my boot! The thing is, while they were crying and stumbling around, Holly kept getting up and tending to them as well, and then her boy was in on the act and Patsy was licking him so I think they are going to co-parent these three. So sweet. Anyway, while out there I made some mental notes for next time, first off, not going to do this again in January! Oh, was it cold. Second, I need a bigger barn with a viewing area with a nice armchair and a panoramic view of all kidding stalls. Told DH this, he was not impressed. For some reason he does not share my enthusiasm for the goats, but he actually came out with tea in a thermos for me, and most impressive, he "donated" one of his oldest favorite rugby shirts for me to cut the sleeves off to make sweaters. Guess I'll keep him. Anyway, here are a few pics, no doubt I'll post plenty more as they grow. The first pic here is of the two born in the middle of last night, sleeping through all the commotion next door. Just realized how blurry these photos are, not the best photographer at the best of times, let alone when I'm cold and shaky. Will get better ones tomorrow. Right now I'm headed for bed, gosh I love my flannels!!
3141_holly_and_patsy_kidding_020.jpg
3141_holly_and_patsy_kidding_015.jpg

3141_holly_and_patsy_kidding_019.jpg

3141_holly_and_patsy_kidding_007.jpg

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, busy time for you. Congrats on all the babies. They all look gorgeous. Hope you are getting some rest, looking forward to more pics.

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
3141_baby_goats_011.jpg

3141_baby_goats_010.jpg

3141_baby_goats_007.jpg

3141_baby_goats_018.jpg

Marginally better pics than the ones from last night. The kid on the crate is Boxer who is a week old now. The black and white ones are Patsy's, a doeling and a buckling. The buckling has wattles, doeling does not. The all black one is Holly's, she is all white, sire is all white, and the little guy is so black you can't make out his features, going to be so handsome. He has a tiny bit of white on his forehead. All doing very well today.