Family farming (venting)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay here's my venting for the day. My family (and most of my in laws) do not at all approve of the way my husband and I are raising our daughter. Apparently digging up worms and feeding them to the chickens, learning how to milk a goat, raising and processing your own food, homeschooling, baking homemade bread... Is all a hassle and bad for her. Ha! Anyone else have this issue?

Just want to hear from other farming parents out there who love this as much as I do!

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We're not to the same degree as processing our own food, although it is on our to do list. Just need more land. We do home school all 5 of our kids. We currently have dogs, cats, chickens and now goats. We are slowly getting to where we can sustain ourselves off of our land & animals.

Living off the land is what my husband and I both want. My family understands this and does not give us grief. (As my family was raised farming.) My husbands side on the other hand! OH LORD! You would think that we're slowly torturing the children by us homeschooling and teaching them how to care for livestock. (This is how much the over react and flip, because we're not doing it "there way".) We hear it ALL THE TIME! How we are destroying the children (from my husbands mother, father and siblings!) They are all city folks.

It's to the point that we now just tune them out when they start in on us.

It sucks hearing it all the time.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should :duc since I don't know that you're even looking for input...

Regardless of whose side is creating this issue, you're both going to have to take a stand and simply tell them to "STOP"! You'll have to make it clear that you'll no longer accept their negative and condemning behavior and attitude. They can either accept that this is the way it's going to be, or move on and find someone else to badger.

You really have to wonder what these city folks think... Do they even have a clue where their food comes from? Most simply reply, "yeah, the grocery store". :he

Edit: Thanks @Hens and Roos Wow... that was pretty brain dead of me... Sorry, been a long couple of days. I'll try to pay better attention. :hide

Last edited:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused... first you say: then you say: You also say the issue is regarding your daughter, but you have 5 kids... Are they OK with the remaining kids being raised (right) the way you're doing it? Perhaps I should :duc since I don't know that you're even looking for input...

I'll assume that it's his side that's the issue. Eventually, since it's hubby's side, he's going to have to take a stand and simply tell them to "STOP"! He, and you backing him, have to make it clear that you'll no longer accept their negative and condemning behavior and attitude. They can either accept that this is the way it's going to be, or move on and find someone else to badger.

You really have to wonder what these city folks think... Do they even have a clue where their food comes from? Most simply reply, "yeah, the grocery store". :he

There are 2 different posters ;)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since they seem to feel the need to perpetually condemn your decision in raising YOUR children it may be time for both of you to address it head on.

First- they had their children and raised them in the way of their choosing. Their time is done!
Second- these are your children, and YOU will raise them they way you choose.
Third- It is apparent that they are unaware of the issues that young people face today. Schools are no longer what they use to be. Many of the older generations really do not have a clue.
Fourth- You are grown adults and these are your decisions... Mom , Dad we love you but we aren't asking for your approval or input on these matters.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ha yes my mother did tell me I should get rid of my animals because it's cheaper to buy food at the grocery store. Except eggs, they insist on farm fresh eggs.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want to teach the kids "survival" tactics for going to or living in the city, it could be useful for their college years or if they would make the decision to settle urban when adults.

The practical things being taught to making it on your own land is more beneficial (to me) because it is where you go if something goes horribly wrong in the city. The rural skills outweigh the urban knowledge. I think if someone did a survey, they would find someone from the country could adapt to city living better than someone from the city making it in the country. Country boy (and girl) can survive.

I also agree with the other comments on raising your kids how you feel best, and asking others to have a little respect. Give them the opportunity to come stay a bit and see how fulfilling and quieter country living can be.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With my in laws they are the type of people, even with saying enough is enough. They still feel their way is the right way. No matter what. It's a pointless argument. Now we just ignore them and go about our life.

My mother in law is the type of person that anytime you disagree with her. "you are attacking her." Even though its always her attacking us, with our life choices. She has even told my husband "you need to fail in life." It is not worth the fight. We just let it go in one ear and out the other. Since no on else wants to be on her bad side, everyone jumps on her side.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
With my in laws they are the type of people, even with saying enough is enough. They still feel their way is the right way. No matter what. It's a pointless argument. Now we just ignore them and go about our life.

My mother in law is the type of person that anytime you disagree with her. "you are attacking her." Even though its always her attacking us, with our life choices. She has even told my husband "you need to fail in life." It is not worth the fight. We just let it go in one ear and out the other. Since no on else wants to be on her bad side, everyone jumps on her side.

Ewwwwwwwwwww How TOXIC! :eek: