Farm Update -- Desparately need advice

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't get the 4 acre place I was looking at and have instead gotten a much smaller 1 1/2 acre tract. Which means I need to readjust my plans tremendously. I know the pigs are out, the place is too small. When I posted my desired barn design several people mentioned that a 1/4 acre pasture rotation with 2 - 12 x 13 pens would be good for a small flock.

Now I would have room for only one 1/4 acre pasture and maybe the two 12 x 13 pens. Would this be big enough for 2 (maybe 3) ewes and a ram, bearing in my mind lambing. I saw the plans in another thread with the gates and hallways I plan to incorporate those ideas.

Now that I need to reduce I'm at a loss. Recommendations, please.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I would suggest either renting or buying a butcher ram just for breeding season. You may have to suppliment depending on pasture quality.

CrazyFlocksters

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
X2 BrownSheep. Buying a butcher ram lamb would kill two birds with one stone. But renting would be a better idea if you were planning to sell the lambs to someone that might breed them.

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Rather than buying a butcher ram can Texel sheep be AI'd?

I really need to know if I have enough space to accommodate a small flock.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How much of the 1 1/2 acres will be for pasture..... Is there a house there as well?

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Rule of thumb: 1500 lbs per acre, Since you are now down to 1/4 acre, you should only run 375 lbs of livestock,
So you will need to know the mature weight of the livestock you get. Hope this helps

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My guess is you should be able to handle 750lbs. of livestock on 3/4 acre. No matter what kind. Maybe 4 sheep, or 3 sheep and a yearly hog.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
"rule of thumb" may or may not apply to a given location.... the limiting factor will be location, location, location ... type of soil, availability of irrigation water and additional pasture growing conditions due to/ lack of soil ph, growing seasons, rainfall, snow, temperature, sunshine, shade from trees or structures, etc. . :idunno

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
"rule of thumb" may or may not apply to a given location.... the limiting factor will be location, location, location ... type of soil, availability of irrigation water and additional pasture growing conditions due to/ lack of soil ph, growing seasons, rainfall, snow, temperature, sunshine, shade from trees or structures, etc. .
Yup

I don't really like the whole this much on this much land or this many pounds on this much land. So many things to consider.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bossroo said:
"rule of thumb" may or may not apply to a given location.... the limiting factor will be location, location, location ... type of soil, availability of irrigation water and additional pasture growing conditions due to/ lack of soil ph, growing seasons, rainfall, snow, temperature, sunshine, shade from trees or structures, etc. . :idunno

YES. It all depends on how much of their food you want to provide.

Obviously, if you plan on providing a lot of the food then you could have more animals.

My SO grew up on a farm with chickens hogs etc on a 1/4 piece of property, but we are dry lots out here (meaning we provide 100% of the feed).