Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice sunny day again. Warmed up to 74 so actually warmer than yesterday but had a breeze..

Got a sorta "hoop cover" over the yellow squash plants. They are flowering.... I cut off the big sunflower heads that the birds have started to work on. Left the 4 or 5 that are bent totally over from the weight, and the leaves are still greener . Will get the seeds out of the cut off heads in a couple of days as they dry more.

I cut off the butternut squash from the vines and loaded them in the wire mesh wagon, and cannot pull it. :th :hide:idunno. Guess I will have to load them in the cart behind the mower to get them to the house. But they are up off the ground so the bugs won't work on them... saw a bunch of the d@#%ed stink bugs around the butternuts as I picked them up... :somad:somad:somad:rant:rant:rantHATE THEM......
I want to weigh some of the crenshaws anyway... told a friend that she could come get a couple since she makes "pumpkin pies" out of them and to save her buying some... might get a pie out of it...

DS cut some more hay today. Tomorrow I will go and start raking what he had already cut Sunday, then Monday...... Tractor and rake is at Deb's... that is where I will start... then work my way towards the barn... Get a bunch done tomorrow... more Friday afternoon... DS will be at the car thing in Hershey PA for Thurs and Fri. He said he almost cancelled, but how many more times will his friend be up to going... and he has cancelled a few times in the past... so said, the he// with it, he was going to go.
Guy called and plans are to chop the corn on Monday... EVERYTHING all AT ONCE..... so I need to be available to help with running the tractor on the pile to help pack it....

Of course, now have 3 farms want to test... that put it off... :duc:duc:duc:duc:somad:somad:somad:somad:rant:rant:rant. I haven't answered 2 of them yet... One I am doing Sunday afternoon.... will get back to the others tomorrow or Friday... At least I did get some boxes of bottles today... maybe I can do one of the farms on Sat aft.... have to call him and see what his schedule is because he gets one of the part-time fill in milkers to come in to help when I go test.

Got all the laundry off line... in the house. I am eating some soup and then I AM GOING TO WATCH A MOVIE.... and fold clothes.

Cooling off... down to 57 already. Forecast says low 40's, even possible to 38-39...

Best laid plans..... POOF.... just as I was getting ready to hit send, DS called..... he got the truck stuck at the farm, could I come down and help ...... so I went down, he had to use the backhoe to pull it out since the hydraulics are STILL apart on the tractor... since they didn't have the right parts... and he couldn't pull the truck, and steer it at the same time... so after getting it out... went to help hook up the tedder to the other tractor so I can tedd the OG he cut out back at the farm that is very thick he said....
Then helped him take the carb off the dump truck so he can drop it off on his way by tomorrow for a friend to take it apart and rebuild it or whatever it needs. Then he took a 5 gal can of diesel, and hydraulic fluid, up to put in the tractor I use with the rake... and left a car at his house so when I rake at deb's and go to the other places there close, I will have a way to get back home and leave the tractor there. I can drive to the farm to do the tedding and then back home, since tedder is on a different tractor..... then on Sat I will take tractor and rake down to the farm and rake the field that I tedded, and the other smaller field of plain grass hay, there... It won't ruin the grass hay when they start hauling the "chopped corn" from that back field, to the barn to the bunk. And he will be around to take me back to get whatever vehicle I left at the tractor.

Musical vehicles... but try not to drive the tractors any extra trips back and forth especially on the road... and not with this long rake behind it.... so need to have someone to be able to pick up and drop you off, or at least leave a vehicle somewhere that you can leave the tractor and rake without back tracking...

So, my plans to watch a movie, fold clothes, and spend some time using the cycle to start increasing my stamina and leg muscles more... all went down the drain. Maybe do some of it tomorrow eve... but I will be on the tractor for several hours tomorrow... and might go do the tedding late tomorrow afternoon so it will be all spread out for the sun to hit it on Friday... and I can rake more on Friday... DS won't be here to do any baling until Sat mid day anyway. And there will be plenty to do ....

Now, I am going to bed.