Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday morning. It is actually starting to rain a little... YAY... :weee:celebrate :weee:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss::celebrate

The bales are not moved off the field yet but moisture will be very welcome... Looks like some rain through maybe 11 or noon... then hot as the heat from the south pushes this out
I closed all the car windows last night thinking that 30% chance was not worth them getting wet... very glad I did. It just started a few minutes ago... heard some thunder and looked out and went OH MY GOODNESS.... wonderful.

Yesterday did not work like it was supposed to... I did go with DS and he got the shots in the shoulder and they put him in a sling... said that the shoulder will more easily dislocate while it has all the fluid in it and this way he will baby it for a day or so... He can take it off by Sat. But he was there for twice as long so going to Rural King was not an option... he needed a driver... which I knew he would.

But anyway. he did want to stop at a truck place as they have been unable to find a truck for them to practice for the roadeo in WV... because they have brand new trucks and it is a style that NONE of the other headquarters/or states have. DS is friends with guys in TN and GA and NONE of them have this style new truck. And so, that gives WV a very UNFAIR advantage as every truck is different and if you have never driven one of a certain size/style /make... you need time to get used to little differences. These new trucks in WV are a little bigger, and definitely higher... So after 3 places he did find one on a lot that had been sold... but talking to the guy they let him sit in it so he could get some feel for it. But not drive it. However, they knew of another place that might have one or more... actually closer to us, and DS called and the guy was going out on the lot and look and would call him back. Don't know if he heard anything last night.
VDOT will pay to rent that particular style truck/piece of equipment, for a month before the roadeo so that that DS/or whatever division the person won in, could get some practice in... Understand that these competitions get pretty fierce when it gets to the states against each other... they are using a different single axle "brand" of truck...and some of the places have the same style... and one of DS 's friends from GA says they can't find one, down there... they use Mack trucks instead of the International that the single axle will use in competition... and DS said that there were 2 here local and the guys could leave a day early and at least come here and get in some practice... even though they are competing against the VA guy... and the guy who won the backhoe competition has been able to find one like what will be used in WV, at another place and their headquarters is making it available for that guy to practice on it.
Everyone knows that any vehicle will drive different from another make and model and it is the same with these big pieces of equipment. It is not fair that these guys have to go into it blind with only 1 practice run the day before the competition. Especially since the WV guys drive these trucks daily....

So, we finally left and we hit backed up traffic on the interstate... Really really backed up... and it became apparent that we were not going to get home in time for me to go to work. I wound up calling and putting it off to today instead.... so now I have to go to work this afternoon. Instead of getting home at 12:30 like was planned, it took nearly 2+ hours what normally takes 1.... it was 1:45 when we got here instead of the 12:30.... I had to let the chickens out... not letting them out early when they could be fox bait... and then still had to pack the samples from Wed aft farm. Got the stuff done, dropped the samples off at the vineyard as they said UPS hadn't been there yet... and came home. I went out and picked tomatoes , as I saw there were alot ripe when I let the chickens out and got a big basket full.. about a 4 gallon buckets' worth. Something has broken off a few of the slimmer sunflowers... and a couple of tomatoes were bitten into. Looks definitely like groundhog type bites... 2 big gouges.. like their front 2 incisors....it could be an opposum also... but never found them to bother the sunflowers. Don't think it is deer.....

By the way, there was a BIG possum killed on the road just below my house... opposite side of the house from the garden.... GOOD.... one less to deal with.

Figured that I was going to have to make a trip to the Lowe's to see about that mattress @Ridgetop had talked about as the original ad I saw when I searched it, said the sale ended Aug 24th. So I went online and found out that the sale now is through Sept 13th and there are some at the nearby local store so I don't have to go to the store the next town over.... I will be able to go by there on my way to the farm today since it is right on the way... maybe they will have one out on display.... and it is not the push to get it bought by yesterday. I had printed it off so I know that the original end of sale was Aug 24th... It was $799 down $300 to $499... that's a pretty good savings. Nearly 40% off. So, I will go by and see if I can see one and if I like it....

The rain is coming down very easy and not too heavy... good soaking type. Hope it lasts for awhile. Would like it to last for 24 hrs but will take whatever we can get. Wish I could send something like this to TX for a good soaking there too...
Time to see about going out and getting wet and letting the chickens out. Just ate some sunny side up eggs...need to wash the dishes and put some stuff away...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@peteyfoozer ... thanks for the image and the laugh !!!!!!

Just came in from testing and locked in the chickens. Put some potatoes on to boil that I didn't eat last night... only need to heat as they were cooked... might have a little of the chicken. I took the breast meat off the carcass and the kittens will get the rest tomorrow to work on... took out the stuffing that was left too and put in fridge too... will split that into a couple servings with the breast meat and maybe make a sliced chicken and tomato sandwich tomorrow.

It's hot and muggy... we got about .3 of rain but it doesn't look like it. I think it mostly just evaporated....not soaked in very much...but a little is better than nothing. It just didn't last long enough. Luckily I did water all the potted plants Wed... til the water was running out and they were pretty soaked. Guess I am going to have to do it again tomorrow...
Still it is much drier up at the farm I tested this evening... their corn is hurting bad and I don't know how well the kernels have filled out in the ears. They will start chopping within the week they said or the stalks will be so dry it won't make silage.... going to have to add water as they put it in the silo as it is....
I would laugh at your "rain" @Baymule , but it makes me want to cry... because I know you need it so badly... several of the guys on the CT forum are talking about the bone dry drought... and one that has land that borders a river said it has almost reached the level of drought as back in 2011.....

Put a dozen eggs in to hard boil as one of the guys we used to 2-step dance with in the club, is having a birthday party... 55.... and DS asked if I was interested in going... bring a dish... So I said I could make deviled eggs.... So tomorrow night.... 6 p.m.... I don't know if we are going together or what... I kinda hope so.... but who knows... I don't think he would take her since she is very weak and not doing much of anything... and I would hope DS would go as the "crew" used to go everywhere 2 step dancing years ago... I sure miss it. I am hoping to maybe get to where I can do a little again this next year.... need to build up my strength and stamina... it is such good exercise too....

Going in to take a shower, wash the cow sh!yt out of my hair... the cows were awful tonight about having to pick up their tails on the way out of the parlor, and the manure was going every where....

It is still 79 out there...at 9:15 or so... it hit 90 with a heat index of 96 they said... got REAL hot and muggy after the little showers, this morning....

Stopped at Lowe's and they had 3 of the mattresses in Queen size... some full size but no King... Luckily I want queen... but not even the little "sample" one, to look at.... that the lady said they used to carry so that people could get an idea.... I said I was going to think about it... but they are there... 4.4 out of 5, good reviews on them... Might go by the mattress place just up the road and see what they have... just out of curiosity...

Supposed to get the cows in tomorrow or Sunday and get the calves weaned off and cows moved to another field... he said if we were going to sell any now then they won't get weaned but pulled and sold.... next week the weather is supposed to be cooler... but then it is labor day weekend... not the best time to sell usually... and there are cows and calves at another place that need to come back too to be weaned... I think we ought to pull and wean since they are not getting much of anything from the cows at this point... I don't think they are going to lose any weight... they will probably dive into the hay and if he opens the bunk I think they would do better on feed for a couple weeks... but what do I know.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I literally got my “drop in the bucket “ of rain. You can go ahead and laugh, I am. At the forage workshop I went to yesterday, the retired professor giving the talk about warm and cool season grasses said he does not expect to see a fall cutting of hay. The grass is too damaged and even with rain, will probably not make much grass before frost on November. He also said this Will seriously set back the cool season grasses and there probably won’t be any fall grass.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have been moving a little slow today... Let chickens out, came in and made the deviled eggs from the ones I hard boiled last evening. Ate an egg salad sandwich for lunch. It is hot out... for us... was down to only 69 last night and up to 92 so far today... humidity not too bad but not great. Going to hang out a load of clothes I did earlier...
I want to take sheets and mattress pads and some other bulky stuff to the laundromat and do them in the big machine and get all that ready for the winter... nice weather to hang on the line.

Dishes all washed.. can't get motivated to do much.

I really am sorry for the pasture/hay situation there @Baymule . I can't laugh at the "drop in the bucket".....

Got out my older pair of glasses and have been wearing them. The arm on one side is "sprung"... it had a spring inside it so it would stay a little snug on your face... one side works, the other goes out "wide" , so they can fall off... but they do not have that terrible "filmy cloudy" haze .... I am going to see if I can get a new pair of "arms " for them and go back to wearing them... I have a small rubber band that I did several twists and slid it up to the hinge joint so it fills in the spot and doesn't open so far. When the arm piece came off, broken spring inside the arm part that goes to the hinge screw, I put glue on it and put it back together, but couldn't get it to slide all the way on and that is how it stayed. It is so nice to see clearly through them though..

Haven't heard a thing from DS ... I am going whether he does or not. Guess cows might get done tomorrow. Wish he would have at least texted and said he was not feeling good with the shoulder or something... I tried to call him on the way home last night and he didn't answer... then texted me and said will call you back... of course you know how that went.... NOT..... I am going to get the truck from Jim this week and start getting these bales moved off the field... he can use my little forester to go to the convenience store or whatever, right there within a mile/or so, if he needs something.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Think of what it was like 100 years ago with no air conditioning...
And having to wear stays, corsets, and multiple flannel petticoats! Not to mention cooking over open fires and woodstoves and washing laundry in boiling water! Not surprising that ladies were always fainting and had to carry smelling salts!

Oh wait! aren't Biden and his climate folks trying to take away our AC, stoves, washing machines, etc.? Does anyone else feel that the current government is anti-woman?
By the way, there was a BIG possum killed on the road just below my house... opposite side of the house from the garden.... GOOD.... one less to deal with.
LOL The way we all seem anti-wildlife due to their attacks on our gardens, we better watch our backs around any PETA people! LOL

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunday eve.... Been a loooong day but productive. Yesterday we went to the birthday party for the friend, for a pot luck supper... nice to see him but no one from the old dancing group was there... mostly just his family and other friends.. still nice... all 24 halves of deviled eggs were devoured...
On the way home DS said he wanted to go to WV to look at the steers after losing that one... so I went along and we left about 5 a.m. . Nearly 3 hour ride out there... Grass looks good, a few looked like they might be wormy, no apparent reason for the loss... sometimes things just happen... BUT... hard to look at over 1500 laying dead.... gave them protein tub, they had put out safeguard worm blocks right after finding the one dead... so only 4 days... so that is not turning them around yet, if that is a problem... they have had a little more rain than we have but creeks are getting dry... Spent about 2-3 hours total with the guy who looks after them out there... DS had taken out more feed and salt blocks for them... he talks to the guy a couple times a week as he also works for WVDOT... they are good friends so not like there is a problem...
Came home and DS said he was going to see if he could get in the cows with calves that need weaning... he got them coming down the pasture and the alley that goes along another pasture... he called me and said they were coming down the alley so I could come to the barn so we could look them over and all that...
Got there and his father/my ex... had come by the barn... so visited with him while DS was coming down the field... have one cow with a bad limp and DS thinks it is in her shoulder... have another that has a slight limp on a back leg... These all have mostly 500+ lb calves on them to be weaned off. 30+ cows and calves...

First he asked his father if he had had lunch as we hadn't and he said no, so we went just down the road to the Wendy's... not very fancy, but he was a little surprised that DS asked... Of course I went along and it was fine. He is a little "sad" since he is really crippled over and does not get around very good at all...then when we got done, he said he was going home...and we went back to the barn and then got the cows sorted... looked over the calves some..
So we put the one with the bad limp in with the blind heifer that is going to butcher next month as it is a small field and not too steep so not to put more stress on her leg... will see if it might have gotten strained or something and watch her... she is due to calve in end of Oct.... the other one went with the rest of the cows in the "calving field" right there... and the calves are in the barn lot with 4 "nanny cows" that have the smallest of the calves for a week or so... then those 4 cows will get moved out with the rest.
Cows are moved out to the calving field that is close to the barn and easy to check on them... they will start in about 45 days and really need the rest.
Calves are able to go in and out of the barn... he will start feeding them some grain daily, and then in a week or so, the couple of nanny cows will go out with the rest. Then he has got to move the ones back there from another pasture... 17 ? with calves... and there are 10 with calves at another place... so another 27 +/- to wean calves off in the next 2 weeks or so... There are a few we will sell but he is probably going to keep a good number of them for awhile...and see how the markets are trending... so far the prices are still high... and we do have all this silage to feed out... but when he brings home the ones from WV, there will be 75 or more there at the barn... I said, well, you wanted to put together some bigger groups to sell,,, well, here you go...

I then took a salt block and a bag of mineral to the nurse cow pasture and put that out and looked them over pretty good... 7 calves up there and I have got to co-ordinate with DS and have the bull calves in to work before they get any bigger... Might have to take them to the barn and run in the chute there... not the end of the world... there is one cow there that is going to get culled... she is OLD... let her stay to feed out her calf... the bull is in there but she would only maybe be 2 months bred and not going to keep her for that. She is in very good condition, calf is 400 lbs plus and will wean with the rest... and good time to sell her...

Came home and locked in chickens and made egg salad sandwich for supper and I am going to hit the shower and QUIT....
Will have to get the samples packed for drop off tomorrow, and have to get caught up with some normal household stuff.... But tonight... I am beat... but got alot done and had a good day.