Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rain didn't let up that much, and it was getting dark early due to the clouds, so I didn't go up to calves. I will go in the morning.
It is raining harder now... I am going to go to bed... but it is soooooo NICE to be getting this rain. It will rejuvenate the pasture's fall cool season grass. Might help the late summer squash to come on now... I decided I was not going to water in the garden and that it was so dry it was just going to die off... But this ought to give it a jump.... hope to get some of the late green beans now too.
Some of the crenshaw vines were still green so might get some more growth on the late set ones, and the potatoes that were still green plants (latest planted) ought to put more into some of them in the ground I think.

All you guys doing all the canning and such... sure wish someone was closer... I like the planting/harvesting part, but then get tired of the putting up by myself... would be nice to have someone close to do it with... most around here do very little putting up anymore... Most times I can buy cheaper than I can put things in cans... Need to get back motivated more to do more....

Didn't watch a movie or anything.... been doing some catch up paper work, on the computer for some stuff... Made a list of things to do in the next day or 2... Been waiting on a farm to get back to me and if no answer in the morning, will see if another one wants to do Thursday.... Got a couple scheduled for next week already...

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rain didn't let up that much, and it was getting dark early due to the clouds, so I didn't go up to calves. I will go in the morning.
It is raining harder now... I am going to go to bed... but it is soooooo NICE to be getting this rain. It will rejuvenate the pasture's fall cool season grass. Might help the late summer squash to come on now... I decided I was not going to water in the garden and that it was so dry it was just going to die off... But this ought to give it a jump.... hope to get some of the late green beans now too.
Some of the crenshaw vines were still green so might get some more growth on the late set ones, and the potatoes that were still green plants (latest planted) ought to put more into some of them in the ground I think.

All you guys doing all the canning and such... sure wish someone was closer... I like the planting/harvesting part, but then get tired of the putting up by myself... would be nice to have someone close to do it with... most around here do very little putting up anymore... Most times I can buy cheaper than I can put things in cans... Need to get back motivated more to do more....

Didn't watch a movie or anything.... been doing some catch up paper work, on the computer for some stuff... Made a list of things to do in the next day or 2... Been waiting on a farm to get back to me and if no answer in the morning, will see if another one wants to do Thursday.... Got a couple scheduled for next week already...
Planting & weeding, feeding & birthing & milking, hatching & fledging, canning & freezing...... none of it is much fun alone.
Do you suppose that a couple of generations ago most of it really was done in community? If not with neighbors, then large families working together?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
In my great grandmother’s time, everyone had at least a kitchen garden and many kept chickens and/or a cow. My grandmother was all about food. She made jams and jellies but when I was a child, she didn’t have a garden. She gardened when raising her children, neither of which was ever interested in raising a garden. My Daddy always had a garden and fed us kids from that garden.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
ALL those things are work!!!! Real work. It is definitely better to do with another or two. Not only is it faster to prep, it's communal...nice to have someone to talk with, just like gardening. 😵‍💫👍☺️

My grands had large families and now, being grown & doing, I'm amazed at their accomplishment!! Garden by hand -- no equipment 75 yr ago, save a plow horse. Plus all WB canning on a wood stove. Far longer time for processing. But they fed large families all year! Even thru the great depression.

Non chemical food is my goal. Being able to sustain and preserve my food is good for me. I can buy but, it's less costly this way. My job is seasonally slow all winter, I actually buy almost nothing at the store because it's already here. Meats I buy on sales & markdowns all summer. I cook in winter -- home a lot. Some years I raise a pig to butcher. Goats are here for butcher...and milk. Chickens for eggs & meat. I make bread, cookies, cheeses, etc. I'm living my dream 🤣

Those stories of oldsters who have no $ for food are often real. Even if there's $, it's tight. It's scary & I know some of them. Now, I chose to work, grow, preserve, keep the farm going and provide for myself & others. It gives me purpose and keeps mind & body active. There are days I feel it's not worth my efforts 😁, that's true. But -- what else would I do???? Oh, I'll cut back in a few years but, I plan to keep at it for another 10-15 yr first :old

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was just having one of "those days" about the canning/processing. Yeah, it's the whole "company" having someone to talk to thing. I don't mind the gardening "alone" near as much as the in house processing stuff. Oh well... you do what you have to. I used to do A LOT of canning, and still do a good bit..... just some times I have so much stuff that I have enough food put back for YEARS worth of use... I don't eat near as much as I put up..... The cooking part was my least favorite part of it all... I'm a decent cook... just not what I prefer to do. Let someone else cook... I'll do the dishes:yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:hide:hide:hide:hide:hide:hide

It is cloudy and wet out there. The rain has stopped for now so I dumped the rain gauges. I had right about 1.6-1.8 in the different ones. So I figured right about 1.7 inches. Radar shows more coming in another smaller wave later on. 61 out there...
Going up to the calves here in just a bit. Have to go get milk at the farm, while I'm out.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
just some times I have so much stuff that I have enough food put back for YEARS worth of use
Same here....but

It's why I do my annual "no shop -- eat from pantry" winters. Kinda force myself to use up more. Otherwise why do it? :lol: cause it isn't always fun. Did little to no canning last yr.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
My grandmother canned - it was me, my mom, and her. The BEST cherry jam ever! She had cherry trees.
When my mom canned at home it was "stay out of the kitchen" sigh. So now I can myself, sometimes we get together with DS and DDIL and work together.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quick post... rained good last night, couple of thunder cracks... Had 1.7 inches in gauge this morning. Stopped for about a 1/2 hour then we had light misty sprinkles and light showers off and on. Was still misting when I got home after 9 so never even looked.

Went to the recycle center with the stuff on the way to test. Had talked to some farmers, things fell into place... Went and tested one that hasn't tested in 4 months, wants to get back on regular testing... the owner sampler farm I was going to drop off bottles for him to test, said it would suit him to test tonight and tomorrow ... and I was going right near there for today's farm.... AND... I texted another farmer and said I had Thurs this week or Mon/Wed/Thusday next week and he said that "tomorrow"... Thursday this week would work great....so I am testing tomorrow right up the road to be able to go and get the samples tomorrow without making any special trips... MIRACLES never cease.... Just dumb luck. So I will take reports back to "tonight's farm" when I go up tomorrow near him.... get the samples and do the computer stuff from the owner sampler farm, then go test the 200 cow herd.... and I will drop off the reports for the owner sampler farm on Sat on my way home from the poultry swap since it will only be a few miles out of my way for that.......

Got the "paperwork" of 4 months caught up on the farm I tested tonight... then got the meters and all in the car and came down and went by and picked up milk on the way home... It is in the fridge in glass jars.

Samples are on the car seat that I will bring in early in the morning, pack and switch the long hoses out for the shorter ones I will need tomorrow.

Farm where I get my milk said they had 3.1 inches.... not quite twice what we got..... Good for him....

Ate a sandwich and some cottage cheese with apple butter (for dessert)... and heading for the shower.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was just having one of "those days" about the canning/processing. Yeah, it's the whole "company" having someone to talk to thing. I don't mind the gardening "alone" near as much as the in house processing stuff. Oh well... you do what you have to. I used to do A LOT of canning, and still do a good bit..... just some times I have so much stuff that I have enough food put back for YEARS worth of use... I don't eat near as much as I put up..... The cooking part was my least favorite part of it all... I'm a decent cook... just not what I prefer to do. Let someone else cook... I'll do the dishes:yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:hide:hide:hide:hide:hide:hide

It is cloudy and wet out there. The rain has stopped for now so I dumped the rain gauges. I had right about 1.6-1.8 in the different ones. So I figured right about 1.7 inches. Radar shows more coming in another smaller wave later on. 61 out there...
Going up to the calves here in just a bit. Have to go get milk at the farm, while I'm out.
I just watched a bunch of videos about canning cornbread, buttermilk biscuits, butter, cheese......
Those rebel canners are wild (& now I wanna try it)