Feeding for the winter?

Stones_Chickens

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Winter is right around the corner and I'm considering leaving my rabbit, Belldandy, out in the coop with her baby buns. She's much happier outside and gets mean when inside. I'm planning on adding a few bales hay for them to snuggle up in.

She already gets pellets and lots of fresh produce. Anything I can add to the food to help her stay warm? I was thinking oats, but what else?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
My understanding of oats is that while the buns enjoy it to no end, oats promote shedding which you may not want in the winter... but then again it depends on where you live.

I live in North Central Texas, also known as the third circle of hades with the drought and heat we have. I feed oats during hot weather but I do not feed oats in the winter. Our winters get cold and my buns live outdoors in their cages in a three sided barn. We do experience freezes in the winter and want my critters as hairy/furry come winter as possible.

If you live in a more temperate winter climate you could feed your buns oats in the winter.

Hope that helps.

Stones_Chickens

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know that. I'm in Ohio so it gets very cold.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Stones_Chickens said:
Winter is right around the corner and I'm considering leaving my rabbit, Belldandy, out in the coop with her baby buns. She's much happier outside and gets mean when inside. I'm planning on adding a few bales hay for them to snuggle up in.

She already gets pellets and lots of fresh produce. Anything I can add to the food to help her stay warm? I was thinking oats, but what else?
In cold weather, you can add "hot" feed to the mix that they eat....it helps them generate body heat. Here is a common mix you can give:

BOSS(Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - not the striped ones), Sweet-feed, a dash of Cracked corn and Rolled oats.

Add a tablespoon or so for each rabbit in the winter. That recipe comes from Dennis of http://crescentvalley.webs.com/, he lives in Upstate NY, so it gets pretty cold where he is.

Shannon

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
animalmom said:
My understanding of oats is that while the buns enjoy it to no end, oats promote shedding which you may not want in the winter... but then again it depends on where you live.

I live in North Central Texas, also known as the third circle of hades with the drought and heat we have. I feed oats during hot weather but I do not feed oats in the winter. Our winters get cold and my buns live outdoors in their cages in a three sided barn. We do experience freezes in the winter and want my critters as hairy/furry come winter as possible.

If you live in a more temperate winter climate you could feed your buns oats in the winter.

Hope that helps.
Actually, I think it is anything with high protein levels that promotes shedding, like Calf Manna or Alfalfa Hay. Those will make a rabbit blow their coat in no time if you give it while molting. I feed mine oats all the time and have never noticed it causing them to shed more. In fact, they will eat the oats BEFORE they will eat Calf Manna! :)

Shannon