FF won't let kids nurse

chels24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My doe that I thought was going to kid anytime three weeks ago finally kidded tonight. She is licking them and talking to them but she won't let them nurse. They try but as soon as they get the teat in there mouths she moves away. I tried holding her but then she kicks them away. I had my husband hold her while I held her leg up, but now one of the babies won't even try. Its going to be in the negatives tonight so I brought them in hoping that once they get warmed up they will try again. So does anybody have any advice on how I can get her to let them nurse or should I just milk out some colostrum and bottle feed them some?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If the kids haven't had anything yet, I would milk her and get some colostrum into the kids. You don't want them to get weak. Has she passed her placenta yet? She may not want to let them nurse until that has passed. It really is just a matter of continuing to work with them but be prepared to bottle feed if it doesn't work out.

:welcome

chels24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No she hasn't passed the placenta yet. If I milk her how much do they need?

RabbitLover11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, I would milk her out. If she has never kidded before she is probably uncomfortable and new to it.

I don't have my notes right here, but I believe the amount to feed newborn kids is around 16oz. At this point, give them as much as they want-- they need the nutrition.

RabbitLover11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Another reason you want to milk her out is that you don't want her getting mastitis because her bag is probably bursting full. We made the mistake of not milking out one of our does at her first kidding, because even though her twins were nursing, she was such a good producer that they couldn't nurse it down enough.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It depends on how much they weigh and what breed they are. I would say basically one ounce per pound. You can put the colostrum in the refrigerator and heat it up the old fashioned way for the kids.

chels24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. We took the babies back out and she immediately let them nurse. I guess she just needed some time to come to terms with being a mom.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:thumbsup Sometimes those FF's just need time for that "Duh" moment to take over and realize these are her kids.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Instead of milking the doe out, I prefer to tie or hold her so she can't move (or kick) and then physically open the kid's mouth and put him/her on the teat. That way the kid knows where to nurse and the doe understands that the kid is supposed to nurse. It's easier in the long run, IMO, than bottling the kid.

ETA: Ack, just saw she let them nurse. That's what I get for not reading the thread all the way! :p