FF won't let kids nurse

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My FF had a hard time realizing what her udder and teats were for too. After a little bit of me holding her still and helping the kids find the teeny tiny teats she had that 'duh' moment and now is doing beautifully. I'm glad that your situation worked out too!

ETA: WHERE'S THEM BABY PICS? Don't you know that's a rule here? (OK, well maybe not a written rule, but it's a known verbal one! :p )
photosmile.gif

cstafford93514@yahoo.com

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Please, even though she let them nurse, check their tummies several times a day making sure there is something in there. I had a ff allow nursing after delivery and then not allow nursing later. Those first 24 hours are critical especially in the cold.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My first time doe did the same this year. She had a single kid with a really painful delivery, and I think she associated the baby with the pain in her back end as well as her udder being sore from being so full, every time the baby touched her she'd back up and start whining. I tied her up and pinned her against a wall so the baby could nurse, and once she had nursed a while, the mom figured it out.

Checking them a couple of times a day to be sure they are full is a good idea, especially in the first few days.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
;)My goats hardly ever let them nurse untill the afterbirth is out, and my ff never never know what's going on

RabbitLover11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's great she let it nurse! I vote for pictures too!

Aggieterpkatie, that is true, and it's really by one's preference whether or not to bottle feed. From that one bad experience we learned to check and make sure the FF's udder isn't too full.:)

chels24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My husband had actually gone and checked on her before she delivered and told me she had a little bit of discharge, but otherwise she was fine. I went to see if she was close and found this:
IMG_3175.jpg

I ran inside to get my kidding supplies and told him that wasn't just a little discharge she was streaming. Since he has never actually been around when one of our does gives birth I had him play midwife while I gave out directions. I figured he needed to know what to do if a doe starts kidding, especially if he thought that was a "little discharge.:rolleyes:
She had two doelings and she's been a great mom. I've been checking on them through out the day and she's still letting them nurse and they are jumping around, so I figure they are doing pretty good.
IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

RabbitLover11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So cute! Thank you for posting pictures. I love white kids!

jason_mazzy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
1 oz per lb? no wonder my lil doe is so goofy. I can barely get her to drink 5cc's at a time.