Finally getting a Goat!

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've wanted a dairy goat for oh so long. A friend of the family who raises miniature goats is going to let us have one of his for free. I haven't seen her yet as it is several hours away and haven't had time to make the trip. I'll post a pic when I do (within the week I hope). I'm not sure if she's a pygmy or a Nigerian dwarf, but if she looks healthy I'm taking her. I have a vet that will test her relatively inexpensively for CAE and CL. We'd like to be able to drink the milk raw so I hope she is clean. Our friend, Jim has a closed herd and doesn't show, so hopefully that will help as they aren't exposed to other goats. She will already be bred for kidding in May or June. I'm thinking warm weather for my first kidding is a good thing. She has kidded before, so that's another good thing. I think she probably has horns since Jim doesn't believe in dehorning. Not sure what my opinion is on that.

She has not been milked before, but I'll have plenty of time to get her used to the idea before the big day...I hope. I'm going to make a pen for her in the chicken/rabbit barn. Do you see any problems with that? She will be a lone goat til her babies come. I know that is a no no, but can't be helped. I hope we can make that work out as a temporary situation. I think she has a herd queen/bossy temperament, so maybe being alone for a while will help her bond with me. She'll have the chickens and rabbits, but I don't think she'd see them as companions would she?

I'm so excited that I feel like a kid at Christmas. She is my Christmas present, so I guess that's appropriate. I know I'll have my work cut out for me with this girl. Just so glad to finally get in there and get started on any level. Whatever happens I'm sure I'll learn a lot and so glad I can come here for guidance and advice. We are supposed to pick her up in about a month.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congratulations! :woot
I hope all goes well for you. They make these things called goat hobbles (I think that is what they are called, please correct me if I am wrong) for goats to prevent them from putting their feet in the bucket when milking. That may help you out since she isn't used to being milked.

Good luck with her! :celebrate

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Hobbles could be an option, but I'm really going to work with her and gain her trust. I'll brush her and get her used to being touched all over. I know goats aren't horses, but I thought a "sacking out" approach might work, like you would use when teaching a horse not to be afraid of things:D.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Pssst....I know where you could get a really cheap Nubian buckling (could be wethered) to be her buddy........ ;)

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Pssst....I know where you could get a really cheap Nubian buckling (could be wethered) to be her buddy........ ;)
lol...very interesting. I'll ya.

nstilwater

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ariel72 said:
I've wanted a dairy goat for oh so long. A friend of the family who raises miniature goats is going to let us have one of his for free. I haven't seen her yet as it is several hours away and haven't had time to make the trip. I'll post a pic when I do (within the week I hope). I'm not sure if she's a pygmy or a Nigerian dwarf, but if she looks healthy I'm taking her. I have a vet that will test her relatively inexpensively for CAE and CL. We'd like to be able to drink the milk raw so I hope she is clean. Our friend, Jim has a closed herd and doesn't show, so hopefully that will help as they aren't exposed to other goats. She will already be bred for kidding in May or June. I'm thinking warm weather for my first kidding is a good thing. She has kidded before, so that's another good thing. I think she probably has horns since Jim doesn't believe in dehorning. Not sure what my opinion is on that.

She has not been milked before, but I'll have plenty of time to get her used to the idea before the big day...I hope. I'm going to make a pen for her in the chicken/rabbit barn. Do you see any problems with that? She will be a lone goat til her babies come. I know that is a no no, but can't be helped. I hope we can make that work out as a temporary situation. I think she has a herd queen/bossy temperament, so maybe being alone for a while will help her bond with me. She'll have the chickens and rabbits, but I don't think she'd see them as companions would she?

I'm so excited that I feel like a kid at Christmas. She is my Christmas present, so I guess that's appropriate. I know I'll have my work cut out for me with this girl. Just so glad to finally get in there and get started on any level. Whatever happens I'm sure I'll learn a lot and so glad I can come here for guidance and advice. We are supposed to pick her up in about a month.
congrats on the new goat.my goat has a chicken for a companion they are best friends

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Great to know! I've got 14 chickens so she can be friends with one of those...lol.