True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

No pun intended actually... Hmm..

Perhaps someone should page Dr. Freud. :p

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think your question as to bucks, does or wethers has been covered.

You mentioned staking them out.

In my experience this does not work well with goats.

That's what I thought I would do,and it really did not work.

Goats are browsers and eat a couple of leaves from this tree, run a bit and take another few leaves from another branch and so on.

When tied out, I found they just shouted all the time, because they were restricted in where they could go, the leaves 2feet further than they can reach are always the best. :gig

Even though when I tied them out, they were always within sight, the number of times they got tangled up was unreal, the accidents that could have happened had I not been there just don't bear thinking about.

I was continually filling water buckets beacuse they have kicked them over. These are just a few of the problems I came across.

Which then meant we had to get into some serious fencing, during which time the goats had to stay in their pens and were not happy bunnies.

I am not saying it can't work, it didn't for me, just something for you to think about.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just another thought, if these goats are mainly for your children, you may want to think about goats without horns (disbudded).

9byDesign

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks, Warthog :). Also, great advice. I can imagine (now) all those scenarios. A neighbor down the road stakes his out once in a while...but not to a tree. Not sure if it was a cinder (sp?) block or what, but it didn't look like anything much to get tangled up on. That is why I thought maybe I could do the same.

This leads me to:

How big then should a primary "pen" (fenced area w/ 3 sided shelter) be for 2 Nigerian Dwarf Goats? Is a 4x4 lean-to shelter adequate for cover? (I live in Florida- it will be open.)

PS- Warthog- Would you recommend goats over sheep ( I see you also have these)?

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You may be OK with a cinder block. All I can say is if there is a way for goats to get into trouble, they will find it.

When I first got the sheep, I tied them to a cinder block and put them on my lawn, which was desperate for cutting, they managed to get tangled with that and could drag it along.

With regard to pen size, I don't know if there is a right or wrong, my 4 goats are x breeds, I am told maybe part Saanen and they have a 16 x 8 three sided shelter within a pen of approximately 40 x 40. But they are let out to an area of maybe 2 acres everyday to browse, and I will be fencing off another 1 acre section over the next few months so as to rotate them.

I think the answer to that question is it depends on what you have available, but in MHO the bigger the penned area the better I guess.

With regard to sheep or goats, the only reason I have both is the goats mainly browse, leaves etc and eat upwards generally.

The sheep basically follow round grazing grass, weeds, lower growing leaves that the goats generally don't eat.

Now I know that people graze their goats on grass, and have happy healthy goats.

I love all my animals, and I hate to say this, but I prefer the goats, I just think they have more character, or maybe I am just a gluten for punishment or something. :lol:

Please do not let anything I have said put you off, listen to what others have to say and decide what is best for you and your situation.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have several 5' x 5', three sided shelters in my fields and I will find 4-6 full sized goats in them. I think 4' x 4' will be fine for 2 little ones. They should be closed on three sides with the lee side is open.

As for staking them to cinder blocks....

1751_img_5819_medium.jpg

I wouldn't. That doeling was about 30 lbs when she did that. She wasn't tied to it, it was just sitting in the middle of the yard. I have used dog tie out stakes for short periods. I don't like to be sometimes when I need a little area cleared out I will put a few out for an hour or so. I make sure they cannot reach each other and get tangled in each others lines. I really don't recomend staking out at all, goats can get into all kinds of trouble.

ChksontheRun

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Poor little thing. How did you get her out. I had one stick her head and front legs through a hole in the fencing and boy did she scream while I got her out.

9byDesign

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
OMGoodness, Jodie... You couldn't have posted a BETTER picture to make me think twice!? LOL.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I broke the block with a hammer and got her free. She had a spot rubbed raw on her back but otherwise was fine. I have no idea how long she was stuck, I came home from work and found her. Had it been a week earlier she would have been stuck out in 90+ degree heat in the direct sun. That may not have had a happy ending.

9byDesign

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! We are picking up our pair (wether/ chosen and doeling / too choose) on Saturday from the farm!!!

The owner says the prettier doe (12 wks.) is more shy...the other (we didn't want a white one), of course, is very friendly. With your experience...would you say that at 3 months age that this little "shy" doeling can turn around and become/ be trained friendly??? Or would you say that is pretty much a predetermined trait?? TIA!

We have several children...so we would like to have a friendly goat in the end.