First time banding, guidance needed please

LilFinnGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all,
Hoping someone here can ease my worries. New to owning goats. We banded our ~10 week old buckling last week. All went well, almost TOO well, it seems. Made sure both testes were in, teats were out, he peed afterwards, no issues. He has not shown a single sign of pain or discomfort.

When I checked on him last night (one week since banding) his testicles don’t really look any different? They still feel warm. Is it possible the band is too loose? We used the green cheerio one from TSC. Is one week too soon to tell? Do I need to be concerned? I’m overthinking and worried he wasn’t developed enough and blood flow isn’t all the way restricted.

Please tell me to take a chill pill and be grateful things are going well if that seems to be that way.

(Sorry for blurry pics, lil buddy would not stay still. Pics taken yesterday)

Attachments

• IMG_3847.png
    IMG_3847.png
    818.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3828.jpeg
    IMG_3828.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 62

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
No expert on that. But as he gets older and things get bigger the band will slowly cut off the blood flow and it should become effective and cut things off. Just a guess.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be too loose if you got the wrong size band.

Usually, when first put on, they show some discomfort & usually yelp, lay around until it numbs at the neck of the scrotum. The bands are TIGHT. I haven't banded in a couple yrs but, as I remember, takes 2-3 weeks to drop off.

LilFinnGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Could be too loose if you got the wrong size band.

Usually, when first put on, they show some discomfort & usually yelp, lay around until it numbs at the neck of the scrotum. The bands are TIGHT. I haven't banded in a couple yrs but, as I remember, takes 2-3 weeks to drop off.
I bought the green kind, said it was rated for both goats and cattle. Having checked on him the past couple days, his scrotum is definitely shrinking. So fingers crossed that it’s doing its job.

Now a new concern is that I didn’t do my homework in vaccination, and have to find a tetanus anti toxin asap.

Feeling like a fool.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like he's withering.
The last batch of Cheerios I bought from TSC made me doubt too because they changed the color and were easier to put on but they seemed to work.

You might be able to give the antitoxin and vaccine at the same time and give him protection for now and later at the same time. I think some people do it but I don't have experience with it.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It takes several weeks for the tests to drop off. We give CDT to the lambs (kids when we had goats) but I also give antitoxin at the same time for instant protection when docking ewe lambs since I use a bander for docking too. Never had a problem.

The important thing is to make sure you get the band on both tests, and the urethra is clear so the buckling can pee. Sounds like you did that so all good. Congrats on your first banding!

BTW, when banding, if you are not sure about the placement just cut the band off with scissors. I use medical scissors for stitch removal which you can order from one of the suppliers.

LilFinnGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The warmth & size you felt in first week was a little swelling, most likely. Patience. ☺️ When it drops, be sure to watch for flies....spray a cloth and wipe around his butt, belly, legs....until the strip is healed dry. Summer & Flies. Always better in winter.
Thank you. Still not very good at patience. Will be watchful!
I will keep winter in mind if there’s a next time.

LilFinnGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He’s doing well- active, has a good appetite, friendly. Felt joints and don’t feel any warmth/swelling. Site continues to shrink more noticeably.

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpeg
    IMG_3938.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 54