freaky goat eyes?

nogoatsyet

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have reached a potential stumbling block in my quest for goats. My mother finds their eyes... disturbing. Like, seriously enough creepy for her to try and talk me into sheep instead. But I do not want sheep, I want goats. Sooo, we shall see. Hopefully she'll come 'round eventually, but in the mean time I am going to point out every cute goat picture I can find to her. See? Cute, not creepy! Does anybody else find their eyes alarming?

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure sheep and goats have the same eyes. I call them "minus eyes" a lot of goat-like animals have eyes like that. I think perhaps llamas and alpacas do? Anyway just get some goats with blue eyes! maybe that'll win her over or brown eyes, and it might be less noticeable.

nogoatsyet

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
hahaha, excellent! I haven't looked at sheep much so I didn't think about their eyes. But that's great if they're the same. I'll have to show her pics of blue-eyed goats, maybe that'll help. Thanks for the suggestion :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've always been creeped out by goat's eyes. One of the reason's I can't bear to be around them. My sheep, on the other hand, have dark eyes in which you cannot see the "creepy feature".

You might try a breed of sheep in the hair category. I have two and everyone thinks they are goats, which is irritating! They shed their wool, so there is no shearing involved.

5_after_of_cow_010.jpg

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just had to go out and look at the goats eyes .. I don't see scary or even evil. :lol: Poor goats they sometimes get a bad rap :/

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Do a youtube search of baby goats and find the cutest ones and show her. Not much cuter than a baby goat running and jumping for joy! Then introduce her to real baby goats. How can anything that cute have creepy eyes? She may change her mind. Or not.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Horses have oblong pupils, too.. You can't normally see it, though, because the rest of their eye is dark and kinda 'masks' it. Having that wide pupil is something to do with night vision..

Occasionally, though...

horse-eyes-14.jpg

Maybe if your mom sees that horses have pupils similar to goats, she'll come around to goats.

:idunno

I think it's neat, personally.

ETA...here's another "goat-eyed" horse pic for ya..

3164933297_81d91b5fb7.jpg

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Are you talking about seeing the pupil of the eye? I'm not really understanding what is creepy. Alpacas and llamas mainly have dark eyes that you can't see the pupil. The blue eyed whites you can see the pupil though.

Is the problem that the pupil looks like a line instead of a round circle?

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think goats are cute. Their eyes included. That said, my saanen/Nub X has normal goat looking eyes, my Nub/? X has strange looking eyes, but I think he has vision problems. He fumbles a lot going for the bottle and totally misses, even at 9 weeks. He gets around fine though. ??