Free choice hay or not

OHMYKIDS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Some do, some don't...I tried to do free choice and my 3 1/2 month old boys ate it all up. I saw them most of the time by the feeder, until the next feeding time. Is this normal? Should I ration it? Help.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is one of those questions that you will get different answers from different people.

I have dairy goats (I milk) so my does have free choice hay always available to them. They only get grain/feed on the milk stand.

When I had a wether I tried to keep him from having access to the hay all the time. I would chose to feed a wether twice a day with hay (and no grain except for an occasional treat).

You don't want fat goats nor do you want skinny goats... you will need to watch over a period of time and see if they are getting too much (and getting fat) or too little (and getting thin) and learn to feed accordingly.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I feed free choice grass hay to everyone and I grain the girls. My wether doesn't get any grain, maybe a handful of BOSS every few weeks because I feel guilty :D

cariboujaguar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Everyone gets free choice hay here. Bucks, wethers, does, milk, meat and pet. Now alfalfa I would only leave out free choice for milkers or heavily worked goats. Our Boers are holding weight just as well on our high legume hay as they did on alfalfa but are less fatty (which in my opinion makes for better meat) I feed alfalfa in winter months on top of their hay, just 1/2 or so flakes per head morning and night...
But if they are hoovering it up non stop and you arn't seeing any gain or worth to wasting so much hay you should stop. At first they may overeat due to excitment over free choice, but you should see them loose interest and spend less and less time at the feeder. If they are the lazy types who never get over it and just eat and eat then I'd consider it wasted money and would go to 2 good size feedings per day...

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Free choice feeding of hay for all our goats here. We are a little different in that we never grain feed and use a little alfalfa while milking.

OHMYKIDS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
so how much hay should 4 - 3 1/2 months goats should be eating? 1 buck, 1 wether, 2 does. I was told by previous owner that they were eating all about 1/4 of a flake a day, with no grain. Although she found out that the girls weren't weaned when I got them. I'm scared of over feeding them, because those boys can eat. I gave them 1/2 a flake (5 inches thick) and they were ready for another meal in the evening.

Rence

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
All my goats have free choice hay, year round. I heavily grain the milkers with sweet feed, alfalfa pellets and beet pulp. I will grain anyone who can't hold their condition on the browse and hay, but of course, they get significantly less grain.

My bucks get terribly skinny and horrible looking when they're in rut, and they're just starting to come in rut, so they're getting grain too right now.

We must not have enough browse because I'v heard of people getting a lot of milk with just grass and hay. Wish I could ....

I agree with looking at your goats to gauge their food. If they look good, whatever you're doing is just right. If they're skinny, you need to give more. If they're getting fat, you need to give less.

Brandywine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about "free choice hay all day."

Do you have hay out on pasture with them?

My doelings spend the daylight hours out in a moving goat tractor, with a good mix of browse and grass. We shift the pen about every third day, when they've made a good dent in all the forage. They get hay and grain in their stall at night.

My intention is for them to get most of their nutrition from browse -- which at this time, is effectively unlimited here.

I wouldn't want them eating hay when they could be clearing multiflora in their pen. Would I?

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I feed my boer does and yearlings/kids free choice good alfalfa hay at all times...They , right now are on new fresh grass mix pasture...But they still get all the hay they want...The alfalfa is a good source of protein and calcium....because the grass they are browsing on has very little of either...The browse serves to stimulate the rumen while the hay gives them the extra protein/calcium....Both are important to a healthy animal....Feed the rumen and the goat will be healthy...The exception might be your older billies...They are probably better on just browse...because they will eat everything that you give them...and who wants fat billies..

Latest posts