Free choice hay or not

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the ideal situation, Brandywine. Many people have more fauna than flora. I would love to see a picture of your goat tractor!!!

edited for silly spelling! :rolleyes:

Brandywine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Photo of the tractor here :

It's just four cattle panels clipped together at the corners. Since there isn't a spot of level ground on this place, I use old existing fence posts (am laboriously ripping out the noxious old barbed wire and smooth wire "fences") and the occasional driven t-post to help support it. New, proper fences slated for the next month or so.

Right now we are moving it every second or third day. I can shift it myself without too much trouble, one panel at a time, then reclip. The Princesses are clearing the edges of the overgrown small pasture. The edges are the worst problem areas, plus they need the shade.

This place had horses for many years, and lackadaisical or no maintenance on the pastures. So tons of bramble and multiflora and (I can't believe it myself) YUCCA has invaded.

YUCCA in PENNSYLVANIA.

The previous owner planted some as ornamentals in the yard, and it has invaded the small pasture. None in the big pasture. I'm gonna find out pretty soon whether goats will eat it.

Yes, at this time we have lots more flora than fauna. The plan is for a small meat goat flock and a medium sized hair sheep flock, with intensive strip grazing to restore the pastures and maximize their benefit. But first, the proper fences. The two dairy does were an attempt to settle my antsiness about not being able to get my hoofstock in a timely way, because of the fencing mess.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread for me as I am new to goats and have been trying to feed my alpine doeling and toggenburg cross wether by the books. Which says, hay at all times and grain twice a day (as much as they can eat in 15 mins). I've been getting worried as neither of them even touch the grain they eat a small amount of hay but they eat a lot of browse and they look healthy! So I suppose now, I shouldn't worry!

OHMYKIDS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
since I've been given my goats free choice hay, they browse more. Although I'm finding out, they don't like treats too much at all. I had to break up a carrot in little pieces for one to try out. Then he would only eat from my hand, not my dd.

zatsenoughcritters4me

Many Critters
Reaction score
free choice here too, my DH built this hay feeder and I can't believe how much hay we are not wasting now!! Plus they do graze more on pasture, and winter time they don't waste the hay like before.
newbabies4-15-09003.jpg

newbabies4-15-09004-1.jpg

we recently added hinges to the tin on top and a hook to latch so the top swings open and 1 whole bale fits in. lasts several days in the summer and almost 2 in the winter.

Goatfarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Right now, we have all of our goats together, 1 buckling, 1 wether, and 2 doelings. They have a roll of good hay in the pin with them and they play on the roll of hay and eat what they want off of it. We feed grain only in the evening when they are put in the barn. Black Oil Sunflower Seed is also available free choice. It seems they only eat what they want, they arent constantly standing and eating the hay or BOSS, they run and play and lay around alot too. I would say just give it a try and see how they do.

Latest posts