free goats

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
how long should i keep new goats penned up in the fence area before i let them run out in the yard when im home?

jessica117

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would wait at least a month... till you're sure that they know you are the "food person." I myself wouldn't ever let my goats out in an area that isn't fenced simply for their own protection.

Birchhatchery

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
when i had pygmys before they ran the yard always stayed out back or followed me i would never think to leave them range when im not out their with them but a month sounds good to me

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I let mine out of the fenced area all the time. Of course I live on the end of a dead end road and am the only property on the road.

I do not use a set time period. When the goat is willing to approach me when I have food and comes when I call, then they can go out.

jessica117

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We live on a dead end road too... just not at the end. And because it is a dead end road with no cops... people fly. Even if I am right there to watch them I still would worry that one might get sneak off and get hit. Goats are soooo sneaky :)

Ozark Daisy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, the goats just might run away.
A lot of ours did that. We almost always found them though. :)

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I let mine out a lot when im working outside. I dont leave them out unattended. (at least not for long)

As for how long to keep them penned..... until they come when they are called.

Mine can be anywhere, but when I yell for them, they come running.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Birchhatchery said:
how do i train them to come when called?
Once they are used to you feeding grain everyday, shake the can, or bang it before you feed them, Then in a month or so, they will come running when they hear the sound. Keep in mind, when you first let them out they are going to be in no hurry to run back in their pen, they can get quit an attitude about it. Normally, after being out 2o minutes or so they calm down, and will go back in easier.

I am assuming you are aware that goats eat everything except the lawn, the bushes, the apple trees, ect.......

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Birchhatchery said:
how long should i keep new goats penned up in the fence area before i let them run out in the yard when im home?
I don't let mine out of the fenced areas 'til they're 18yrs old, or dead...whichever comes first.

:)