Fruit?

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:lol: I've still got some straw on my hat and plan to wear it until every last piece is gone.

Goatfarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
GrassFarmerGalloway said:
goat lady said:
Someone told me they like apples. I cut one up and tried it with mine and they were not interested in them. I have heard they like cereal.
Goats will eat anything. Yes, they like apples. :p
Not true!! Goats have got to be the pickiest eaters ever. Just watch what they eat when they are browsing!!

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I avoid fruits. Goats can get a digestive upset in a minute if they eat more than they can handle, especially w/new foods that they have not developed digestive bacteria for.
A tiny-itty amount won't hurt (the size of an animal cracker), but any more than that and it could make them sick.
For treats, I use animal crackers. They really go wild over those and 1 to 2 a day doesn't hurt them.

countrywife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been tossing my garden and kitchen scraps in the field for years. My goats are especially fond of strawberries, and the red moustache they get is hysterical. I agree, nothing new in large quantities, and what one goat will eat another will not touch. Picky things they are. But yes, I throw fruit and vegetable scraps out to them and haven't had any trouble, and it makes thier day.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hahaha.. this reminded me of the goats at the privately owned zoo in Bowmanville. I must have been about 10, a lady and her child were there in the goat pen with like everyone in the zoo cause who doesn't love goats right? Well she was wearing one of those gauzy flowy skirts and the goats ATE IT OFF HER...

it was actually hysterical

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
mully said:
Watch out for the stone fruits ..peaches, plumbs etc as the leaves contain cyanide until they turn brown. Also choke cherries are a problem.
Correct me if I am wrong but just in case I am right I wanted to say that I think s I read that the leaves of the trees with stone friuts contain even MORE cyanide once they wilt and turn brown??

Just wanted to clarify just in case someone out there is drying their cherry tree leaves waiting for them to turn brown and have no cyanide! I know unlikely but just in case!