Fruits: What fruit do you start your bunnies out on?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Yesterday I started my buns on their first foray into fruits. They are truly loving their greens. And the suggestion for oats that I got right now are Cheerios. Dobby loves them. Can't wait until the cool weather to start baking. Stove just makes the house too hot. Have a small Cape Cod.

Their first fruit was a Washington Apple. I had to laugh at how Hubby took quite a while selecting it at the store. But so pleased that he's showing that he's with me because this is my project. At first, they were not sure, but now really look forward to it. I feed a few to Jake our dog, along with the Cheerios. He doesn't feel left out.

So what I'm asking is what should I select next. Papaya is my next choice. Along with watermelon.

What fruit does your bunnies enjoy? :)

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When I feed my rabbit fruit its either apples,bananas,cantaloupe,watermelon and strawberrys ... them are his favs anyways . Of course not all at once , I have never gave him papaya though . Might try that :)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
It's odd, Kreacher likes the watermelon but Dobby, well no way. He ate the first piece of watermelon that DH gave him with relish. But after that, turned his nose up. I thought because it was something new, just wasn't used to the texture. But tried again last night, nope, smelled, shook his head and hopped away.

Going to try cantalope today. See if my boys like this. Hopefully Dobby is not just strictly vegatables and Cheerios. Hopefully find a fruit that Dobby likes. I guess it's all trial and error. :)

Stones_Chickens

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My Belldandy first fruit was a banana, since then she pretty much gets a taste of whatever produce we're eating (as long as it's not on the bad food list).

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Boys are enjoying their fruit. So far, watermelon, strawberry, canalope and apples. As long as I cut them up in small sizes and serve, they eat it all up! Actually caught Dobby licking the bowl after all of the fruit was gone. The only thing I need to watch out for now, is that they are eating their pellets and hay and not just the sweet fruits. Since I am watching their rations, so far so good. They are eating everything they are supposed to. :)

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Boys are enjoying their fruit. So far, watermelon, strawberry, canalope and apples. As long as I cut them up in small sizes and serve, they eat it all up! Actually caught Dobby licking the bowl after all of the fruit was gone. The only thing I need to watch out for now, is that they are eating their pellets and hay and not just the sweet fruits. Since I am watching their rations, so far so good. They are eating everything they are supposed to. :)
I gave mine a grape yesterday and he wouldnt even look at it , but then we I came out later it was gone . Have you tried bananas yet ? my rabbit loves them , but I only give him a small slice . :rolleyes: sometimes a little more when he licks the bars for more lol

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
bluemini said:
Ms. Research said:
I gave mine a grape yesterday and he wouldnt even look at it , but then we I came out later it was gone . Have you tried bananas yet ? my rabbit loves them , but I only give him a small slice . :rolleyes: sometimes a little more when he licks the bars for more lol
No bananas yet. I hear they are good for when the buns get loose bowels. That and papaya. But definitely on my list to get for them to try.

I feel better now that I know they are getting a really balanced diet. Pellets, free choice hay, greens, fruit and oats. :)

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
bluemini said:
Ms. Research said:
No bananas yet. I hear they are good for when the buns get loose bowels. That and papaya. But definitely on my list to get for them to try.

I feel better now that I know they are getting a really balanced diet. Pellets, free choice hay, greens, fruit and oats. :)
Oh okay ,I havent tried that though, I gave my last lop rabbit fruit and she would always get sick even bananas didnt help ,so I just gave her veggies instead ,but then again she was a weird one .

Do you feed them store treats ? I am wanting to get mine some but I dont like feeding yogurt drops so im not sure what to get . I think mine would like something other than fruit as treats but I have no idea what to get :/

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
bluemini said:
Ms. Research said:
bluemini said:

Oh okay ,I havent tried that though, I gave my last lop rabbit fruit and she would always get sick even bananas didnt help ,so I just gave her veggies instead ,but then again she was a weird one .

Do you feed them store treats ? I am wanting to get mine some but I dont like feeding yogurt drops so im not sure what to get . I think mine would like something other than fruit as treats but I have no idea what to get :/
Not much into store bought treats. Go the natural way. Treat with fruit or vegetables. My boys love those treats. :)

a7736100

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I give them banana peels and melon rines so they don't get as much sugar. They also get apples.