fuzzi's "Gardens and Chickens...and Goats? Oh My!" Journal and More Thread

fuzzi

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This week I have been preoccupied with the devastation in my state, NC, and have been posting less. I'll be back more. Soon.

In the meanwhile here's a picture of Priscilla checking out her first pumpkin:
1000054219.jpg

Prissy is 4+ months old.

And that's Zacchaeus giving me the eye.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One time you are on here, could you go to your name, top right of page, down to account details, and down to location and put your state or area or something... It makes it easier to associate you and your area with growing tips, different kinds of feed, hay, pasture grasses etc... climate is different from TX or CA .... I for one always look at the avatar and see the state or area and then can try to match any comments or anything I post, with what things are like where that person is... Being in your "prime" as @Ridgetop says, just means we are :old :old and forgetful.....:lol::lol::lol::gig:gig:gigand it takes "repetition" for me to remember who is where...

fuzzi

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One time you are on here, could you go to your name, top right of page, down to account details, and down to location and put your state or area or something... It makes it easier to associate you and your area with growing tips, different kinds of feed, hay, pasture grasses etc... climate is different from TX or CA .... I for one always look at the avatar and see the state or area and then can try to match any comments or anything I post, with what things are like where that person is... Being in your "prime" as @Ridgetop says, just means we are :old :old and forgetful.....:lol::lol::lol::gig:gig:gigand it takes "repetition" for me to remember who is where...
Done!

Eastern NC, but USDA Zone 8a to be specific...

And I suffer from chronic CRS...can't remember...stuff.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but no... that is field fencing.. it has 6" stays... which means that there is 6 inches between the upright wires.. goats and sheep will put their head through it and they can get hung up. They are stupid enough to think that everything is better on the other side of the fence. You need Sheep and Goat fencing... it has 4 inch stays... meaning there is only 4 inches between upright wires... so littler holes for them to put their hears through... also will contain most chickens (except young chicks) and will help to keep OUT some of the predators... harder for foxes and coons and possums to squeeze through them... dogs and coyotes will not beable to go through that but some can get through the 6" stays.
Sadly it is more expensive since it has more "upright wires" in it... and it is heavier... Red Brand also makes that kind... TSC usually has it... and it will cost at least $100 more than the field fencing... Field fencing or woven wire as it is called here.... is what we use for our cattle.
You do not need to go as far as "horse fencing" which is 2 inch stays and cost a kings ransom...it is to prevent horses from getting a hoof caught in it if they paw at it... it keeps out most predators but is very expensive...