Gardens and Chickens...and Goats? Oh My!

fuzzi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm fuzzi, from eastern NC. I have a small yard with gardens and bird feeders and ponds (100 gallon each). A couple years ago I got back into chickens after a 30 year hiatus.

But I want goats.

I got to know goats a little, back when my children were small, at a friend's mini-farm. I milked her Nubian.

This photo was taken at Goat Milk Stuff in Indiana. We've stopped there twice while on vacation.
IMG_20220711_135958507_HDR~3.jpg

And now that I am close to retirement and will be at home more, I can start planning for a couple goats.

I'm here by way of BYC, and am hoping for as wonderful an experience here as I've had there.

fuzzi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I added a more appropriate photo for my avatar.

They're not mine, I am goatless, but hopefully in the next few months I can add my own picture.
1000053811.jpg

The photo is of my first goat acquaintances, from about 1989. My daughter's friend lived with her mom on a mini farm. I can't recall their names but I got to milk the Nubian.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from East Texas. I was a member first of BYC, then TEG, SS and then BYH. I studied goats and sheep, finally settling on hair sheep. I raise on Katahdin hair sheep. Dreams do come true!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome:frow:frow:frow

I'm in the Shenandoah valley area of Va. Been crazy weather here this year. NO GOATS.... but have, or have had about every other animal there is... had 3 goats, couldn't be more glad to trade them off to a guy who plowed my garden MANY years ago... on top of the truck and the chicken coop cured me immediately of having them... got them in a trade for something to start with...
Mostly cattle, poultry, sheep, big garden.....

Last edited:

fuzzi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome from East Texas. I was a member first of BYC, then TEG, SS and then BYH. I studied goats and sheep, finally settling on hair sheep. I raise on Katahdin hair sheep. Dreams do come true!
Thank you! I found your thread about putting up fencing, working my way through the posts.

So much to learn.

I only have a third acre, but I am the last house on a dead end street, in a community that is very relaxed, no HOA! I checked the county website, don't see any regulations about goats.

I was thinking last night that perhaps I could start with older rescue type goats, maybe give a dry doe or elderly wether* a home while I learn.
:pop

*Yes, two so they have company!

fuzzi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:welcome:frow:frow:frow

I'm in the Shenandoah valley area of Va. Been crazy weather here this year. NO GOATS.... but have, or have had about every other animal there is... had 3 goats, couldn't be more glad to trade them off to a guy who plowed my garden MANY years ago... on top of the truck and the chicken coop cured me immediately of having them... got them in a trade for something to start with...
Mostly cattle, poultry, sheep, big garden.....
I have driven through the Blue Ridge area, did most of Shenandoah park, three times...boy do those mountains call to my heart. Dh and I planned on retiring to WV or eastern Kentucky, but that's not going to happen now, so we're staying here in the flat, wet, humid, and mosquito-infested area of NC between the ocean and Raleigh. :gigAt least I can garden for nine months out of the year!