Gardens and Chickens...and Goats? Oh My!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust the GSDs for a New York second. Most I know are very high prey drive, and smart enough to know when to get what they want (i.e. no one is looking).
LOVE how GREEN everything is!!! So pretty.

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust the GSDs for a New York second. Most I know are very high prey drive, and smart enough to know when to get what they want (i.e. no one is looking).
LOVE how GREEN everything is!!! So pretty.
Thank you. We get on average 48" of rain annually. It's probably why trees grow so tall as well.

Would a couple strands of hot wire be enough for the GSDs?

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Chicken pictures!

I have bantams, most are Speckled Sussex.
IMG_20240922_150238539~2.jpg

This handsome fella is Zacchaeus, he's not quite 6 months old. He's being a Good Roo to the hens.

IMG_20240922_150443506~2.jpg

This is Silas, he's just 4 months old. His color is wrong so I cannot use him for breeding.

IMG_20240922_150221464~2.jpg

Most of my hens, the black and white are Dominiques. The one in front is Abigail, and she is going through a hard molt.

Pullets
IMG_20240922_150335269~2.jpg

IMG_20240922_150252763~2.jpg

They're also 4 months old.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe build a fence within a fence, most style, so the GSDs won’t be right up against your fence/goats. You could let the goats on the moat to keep it cleaned up when you are outside to supervise.

How friendly are you with the neighbors? I’m thinking a Super Soaker water gun with a little ammonia in it to teach GSDs to stay away from fence when your goats are in the moat. IF your neighbors would not object.

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Maybe build a fence within a fence, most style, so the GSDs won’t be right up against your fence/goats. You could let the goats on the moat to keep it cleaned up when you are outside to supervise.

How friendly are you with the neighbors? I’m thinking a Super Soaker water gun with a little ammonia in it to teach GSDs to stay away from fence when your goats are in the moat. IF your neighbors would not object.
You just confirmed a thought I had about setting up a second fence a mower's width inside the chain link. And letting goats browse the "moat" with supervision, to keep the vines at bay. That's my main reason behind getting goats besides that I love animals. I'm in my mid sixties, and some assistance with the trimming/pruning is welcome.

Guy behind me is a local sheriff, but has been very good about his dogs. I need to get the fence replaced and purchase a gate for the driveway to keep stray dogs away.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. We get on average 48" of rain annually. It's probably why trees grow so tall as well.

Would a couple strands of hot wire be enough for the GSDs?
No idea. Remember that they can go under as well. If they've got high prey drive I'm not sure what would work. For the record, I generally do not take GSDs for herding training on my sheep. They can be wonderful and they can be really really bad.

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No idea. Remember that they can go under as well. If they've got high prey drive I'm not sure what would work. For the record, I generally do not take GSDs for herding training on my sheep. They can be wonderful and they can be really really bad.
I had a GSD/Lab cross that was the hardest dog I'd ever trained. I have puppy tooth scars on my forearm, still. At about 18 months something clicked and she became the Best Dog Ever. I miss her.

Tirzah.jpg

I could have walked her without a leash through a flock of sheep and she wouldn't have done anything. If she saw a rabbit or squirrel she'd look up at me for permission to chase.

A Dog in a Million.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a GSD/Lab cross that was the hardest dog I'd ever trained. I have puppy tooth scars on my forearm, still. At about 18 months something clicked and she became the Best Dog Ever. I miss her.

View attachment 111933
I could have walked her without a leash through a flock of sheep and she wouldn't have done anything. If she saw a rabbit or squirrel she'd look up at me for permission to chase.

A Dog in a Million.
What a sweet face ❤️ and two tennis balls - Lab thing for sure :)