Getting 2 piglets - essential advice??

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In my 40+ years of raising pigs, I came to the conclusion that it would be impossible to overbuild any pen or other enclosure for pigs. They are smart, powerful, observant, stubborn, and can sense any type of weakness in a fence/pen quickly. I would equate their intelligence to that of a dog if not more. It quickly became my summer-long job to keep the electric fences in working order at our farm. When the pigs got out, it was MY FAULT, and it was up to me to get them in before they wrecked the lawn and flowerbeds. We also had a bunch that developed a taste for the chickens and ducks that my parents had. These pigs would escape their pen, and immediately burst into the poultry pen, eat the eggs first, and then start on the birds. I was very happy to see the last of that year's pigs go to town. They were bloodthirsty things that scared me very badly.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
:D Jhm - I can relate to all you mentioned there and just to add to the list, one of our sows lifted up a concrete barn floor which looked more like a quarry with a mine shaft - all in an afternoon.

BaconAndEggs

Just born
Reaction score
i bought 4ft tall fencing on a roll from tsc. (the holes are 2x4 i think) i sunk 6ft cedar posts 2ft in the ground. the fence was burried 6 inches when i started, as they dug holes i threw in big rocks or laid other cedar posts along the bottom of the fence. they have food and water 24-7-365 and i havent had one escape. they also spend thier whole life in one pen. they know that that is thier world and they have all thier needs there. they have no reason to leave. the COULD dig under, i think one of the COULD climb over if he really wanted, but why leave....

just my experience.

mcf3kids

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you all! I love the pig stories - although I have to say in a way they make me a bit nervous! I am setting up this "pig pen" in a rather residential area :D and at the edge of our 2 acres. I can only imagine what the neighbors would be thinking if they see a pig walking around here! :hide

BaconAndEggs

Just born
Reaction score
i didnt know my pigs read this forum! after i was talking about how theyve never even tried to get out i came home to fine them dug almost completely under the fence. this fence was burried 6+inches and had never been bothered. well when i dumped out some gone bad yellow wax beans for them the other day i dumped them near the fence and some got to the other side. i didnt think anything of it! well the piggys figured out that was where the food was, so mabey theres more that way and started digging. no one got out, but i had to use a pallet and some wire staples for a quick fix.

so lesson number (insert extremely large number here) about pigs is; expect the unexpected.

mcf3kids

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Baconandeggs - that is funny! After all this wonderful advice hubby has purchased the supplies needed to put in an electric fencing in the pen. Our piglets were born two weeks ago so the fun will begin here in NH in 6 more weeks. Note to self - keep food away from edge of pen (check). I am still taking notes so anyone who has a gem of knowledge to share I have my ears wide open! :clap

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Great stories folks - thank for the smiles.

If you can train your piglets to electric fence they will be some of the best animals on the farm. Without it they will be a constant headache! We have some 9 week old (weaned at 8 weeks) piglets out there right now - the first couple days were a total pain but now they are trained to the fence they are quite happy in their little pasture & have started "talking" to me at feed time when they see the bucket.

Pigs love the grain from the breweries :)

Enjoy your pigs,

Liz

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Are they similar to cows? When you get them and put them in with the electric fence you let them touch it till they figure it out? My husband thought of an idea. We've never had pigs so I don't know if this would work or just be crull and unusual punishment. He thought if we put a little dog harness on them and put them on a leash, then walked them over to the fence so that they could touch it, then when they ran off, he could hold them and they wouldn't run out through the other side of the electric fence. Any thoughts?

Yep, we're rednecks, but I'm ok with that! :lol:

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
He thought if we put a little dog harness on them and put them on a leash, then walked them over to the fence so that they could touch it, then when they ran off, he could hold them and they wouldn't run out through the other side of the electric fence. Any thoughts?

Can you please video tape that... :gig

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hillsvale said:
Stubbornhillfarm said:
He thought if we put a little dog harness on them and put them on a leash, then walked them over to the fence so that they could touch it, then when they ran off, he could hold them and they wouldn't run out through the other side of the electric fence. Any thoughts?

Can you please video tape that... :gig
I surely will try, but I don't know if I will be able to hold the camera still and laugh at the same time!