Getting a new pregnant heifer. Updated...change of plans already!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:weee :weee :weee :weee Yay!!!!!

The heifer that we were waiting on to calve, had a nice healthy bull calf this morning. The farmer just called to let us know. We will go over after work to see him. I will try to get some pictures.

Patience is a virtue and we have been extremely patient in waiting for these cows. Now, we will finally be able to get them. Not this weekend I suspect. But at least the following.

Funny thing...out of the 10ish (I've lost track) of calves that they have had this year. Only 1 has been a heifer, the rest bulls.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Conrats on your new calf and heifer. In my herd that is calving now, I would guess that heifers outnumber the bulls by 3 - 1. That's true on the AI calves and on the natural service calves. The calves are all coming 3 - 10 days early, and they are also bigger than one would expect. Only had to pull one so far, and she likely could have had it, but I got impatient. Weather has been brutal. Snow every other day, and unbelievable amounts of mud. Lots of my rancher friends have lost many calves. And---we're in another winter storm watch again today and tomorrow. Come on summer!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Conrats on your new calf and heifer. In my herd that is calving now, I would guess that heifers outnumber the bulls by 3 - 1. That's true on the AI calves and on the natural service calves. The calves are all coming 3 - 10 days early, and they are also bigger than one would expect. Only had to pull one so far, and she likely could have had it, but I got impatient. Weather has been brutal. Snow every other day, and unbelievable amounts of mud. Lots of my rancher friends have lost many calves. And---we're in another winter storm watch again today and tomorrow. Come on summer!
Boo Winter!!!! I hope spring comes for you soon JHM. We've still got snow banks along side the driveway, but other than that its all gone with the exception maybe of some in the woods. That is depressing when someone or many lose many calves. The reality is every now and again you are going to lose something. But when it is several or many, that just really stinks!

I am glad that you are heavy on the heifer calves this year. Kind of funny that even though the calves have been early for you, they are full size. They know when they need to be born. :D

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yay, Stubborn! Looking forward to pics! (Wonder if there's a difference between being patient and HAVING to be patient?:D)

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here they are!

Yorkie the heifer, well I guess techinically she is a cow now right? Over 2 years old with her 2nd calf?

4090_yorkie_and_calf_april_seventeenth.jpg

It's hard to tell but he is kind of homely cute. The white on his face is in such a perfect circle over his head, it looks like someone pushed his face in white paint.

This is all three together, Charlotte, the bull calf and Yorkie. Hopefully they will all be coming home soon.

4090_yorkie_all_three_april_seventeenth.jpg

Canadiannee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
lol... aww, he's not homely he cute... he's ADOREABLE!

Congrats on your new laddie!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They are FINALLY here!

Poor things. Momma has manure and mud caked on her and the two older ones have patches of missing fur. The farm we got them from said that they gave them ivermectin last week. But I really hate to see them like that.

4090_cows_three_april_of_thirteen.jpg

As soon as momma gets used to us a bit, we will be doing what we can to get the crud off her. The heifer is warming up pretty quickly. The momma wants to be paid attention to but is leary. And the bull calf...nope his mother tells him to stay away.

4090_cows_april_of_thriteen.jpg

4090_bull_calf_april_of_thirteen.jpg

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I think they're going to get spoiled rotten the way you couldn't wait to get them home. :D :lol:

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They are beautiful! I'm sure they'll drive you crazy, but those turd balls should pretty much come off on their own this time of year as she sheds. If it means making her not be friendly, I'd just pull on the ones that are ready. (tips on the fine art of turd ball picking!) Some cows will lay in manure even if they have other options. I like to take handfuls of sawdust and rub them with that to help shed out, too. It's one of the steps in dressing hides and seems to work on live ones, too.