Ginger's kidding thread

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliments about my girls.

Today I am so thankful for the baby monitor that my daughter gave me for my birthday last month, because today is the second day of rain here and the goat pen is slicker than owl poop to walk in! I've landed on my butt once in the chicken coop last year and that was no fun! Yuk! Don't want a repeat of that if I can avoid it. I would not be surprised if we've gotten 5 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. It rained all night because every time I listened to the monitor the only thing I could hear was the rain hitting the goat's shelter. It's supposed to rain most of today also. I'm not complaining, because we really needed the rain, but I am just being thankful for the technology available to make my life easier in my kid watch right now. Hopefully our burn ban can be lifted so we can burn some of our brush we have had piled up since the summer. I know the goats will be glad when the rain stops, which is supposed to be tomorrow, so they can come out of the shelter. I know we all get stir crazy when we're cooped up for days in a row here in Texas! That's one of the reasons I'm glad we live in Texas, because we don't have to endure much more than a few days at a time inside because of the weather being bad. I will be happy to see a little sunshine again. :cool:

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree with you on the sunshine. I am in Texas too, and it is ugly here today. Let the chickens out this morning cus it was cloudy but no rain. They raced back to their coop when the clouds suddenly started dumping rain by the curtains around noonish.

I hope you get some healthy beautiful baby girls for your first kidding. :fl :fl
Your doe is purty.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Fluffygal said:
I agree with you on the sunshine. I am in Texas too, and it is ugly here today. Let the chickens out this morning cus it was cloudy but no rain. They raced back to their coop when the clouds suddenly started dumping rain by the curtains around noonish.

I hope you get some healthy beautiful baby girls for your first kidding. :fl :fl
Your doe is purty.
Aww, thank you Fluffygal. I think they're cute, but what momma or grandmother doesn't think their youngin's are the cutest things ever? I guess it wouldn't really matter one way or the other, I would love them just the same. Where are you in Texas?

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I had 1 buckling, because I need a wether for a buck when I find the right one. Don't want him to get lonely. I'm hoping he will be like his father, a white pygmy. He was the sweetest goat and he had the perfect name for a buck, "Romeo!" Couldn't think of a better name for a buck than that, do you think? LOL! Maybe Casanova would be a good name for a buck too! LOL! The Good Lord knows he made them eager to woo the ladies! :love

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am in Conroe which is north of Houston.
Romeo & Casanove are good names.
My little buck is Abel. Just got him and the name just stuck from the list I thought of.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just a little update, and nothing going on, yet.... It's like waiting for each of my children or grandchildren to be born. Ginger was acting her usual self this evening and her udder is full, but no "boom" yet. Her ligaments are really thin at this point, so it couldn't be too long. At least the rain stopped a while this afternoon and we all got a chance to get outside. Gave the girls some fresh alfalfa and they gobbled it up while they were enjoying their new found freedom outside again. It's supposed to rain some more tonight, but not as much. I think we've gotten about 6 inches in the last 48 hours. Everything is a sloppy mess outside and our dirt is very clay filled and is super slick. Had to put some hay down so I could check on Ginger to keep from falling on my rearend. My luck, she'll kid tonight when it's this muddy. Oh well....., at least we will have new babies! Come on kids!

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, this morning when I went out to feed the girls I could see definite changes in Ginger's anatomy. She appears to have dropped a bit and her belly isn't far from the ground at this point! Her rump area has suddenly taken on an exaggerated sloped appearance. Her udder is much more full, but the teats aren't filled out at this point, and I couldn't feel her ligaments this morning. I know the ligments can come and go, so I will check them again in a little while. Hope, hope :fl today will be the day we kid! Today would be good, because we aren't expecting any rain for the next few days. Gotta go out and pen her up in the kidding area and make ready for the birthing! Yeah!

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I now see what is meant by being "posty legged." When Ginger walks now it's like her motion gets hung up for a split second in her hips because everything is so loose in the rump area now. She is having a difficult time walking around because of it. She's just parked herself in front of the feed bag and has been eating almost nonstop this morning. I know she's glad to be outside in the sunshine again after 2 days of rain. Come on babies!!!!! I'll go and take some pictures so you can see her on what is hopefully her last day of this pregnancy.