Giving Corrid in drinking water...still need Vit. B complex?

BethC

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here (First post actually)
I have angora goats, only 4 of them for now and I have a question about using Corrid in their drinking water. Last year, I was drenching my goats for 5 days, for coccidiosis as per my vets order. He also told me to give a shot of Vitamin B complex each day along with to prevent a thiamin deficiancy. I'm curious, If you follow the direction on the package to add to the drinking water instead of drenching, do you still have to give them a shot of Vit. B?

Beth from PA :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It could still cause thiamine deficiency regardless of the method of delivery. Though we've had numerous members that use it without having any problems with thiamine deficiency.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was another thread on here about this.

Isn't denying the coccidia thiamine the way Corrid works?

If you give B-12 aren't you negating it's effecitiveness?

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thiamine is B1.... B complex does contain it. My understanding is that in order for Corid to work on the coccidia, you do not give B1 until after the coccidia treatment is finished....

If anyone is interested....B12 is cobalamin (containing cobalt).

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Correct, because CoRid works by causing cocci to "starve" by ingesting what looks to be thiamine but is not, giving the goat thiamine at the least lessens the effectiveness of the medication. The some give goats vitamin B-complex or thiamine is because not even their bodies recognize the mimic and then don't make enough actual thiamine to support normal function (causing goat polio if the issue is severe enough).

Once the medication leaves the system, the goat's body will resume making thiamine.

So what to do? Give the CoRid and keep a very close eye on the goat. Read up on signs of polio and if you see any start, give thiamine immediately. Or, chose a different medication, which is what we choose to do. DiMethox works very well and there are others too that you can use without the worry of causing a thiamine problem.

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures said:
Correct, because CoRid works by causing cocci to "starve" by ingesting what looks to be thiamine but is not, giving the goat thiamine at the least lessens the effectiveness of the medication. The some give goats vitamin B-complex or thiamine is because not even their bodies recognize the mimic and then don't make enough actual thiamine to support normal function (causing goat polio if the issue is severe enough).

Once the medication leaves the system, the goat's body will resume making thiamine.

So what to do? Give the CoRid and keep a very close eye on the goat. Read up on signs of polio and if you see any start, give thiamine immediately. Or, chose a different medication, which is what we choose to do. DiMethox works very well and there are others too that you can use without the worry of causing a thiamine problem.
This is very informative post, thank you so much. Should be a sticky!

BethC

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Godsgrl said:
Pearce Pastures said:

This is very informative post, thank you so much. Should be a sticky!
Agreed, very informative! thank you! If I remember correct, there isn't a real cut and dry dosage chart on the DiMethox (I could be wrong on that one...I just remembered for some reason being unsure how much to give) Can you tell us what the dosage is? And do you drench? Or put in their water?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
You will drench with it. Are you going to be getting the already mixed 40% liquid or the powder?