Glass Milk Bottles

Goat of Many Colors

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a web site where I can order some one quart glass milk bottles without having to take out a mortgage?

I have found some from $7.00 to almost $12.00 each . We don't have a dairy here that delivers in glass so I can't get any that way.

Thanks in advance!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would look on Craigslist or go to garage sales. I just bought 2 glass milk bottles and only paid a buck a piece.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Are you looking for antique/vintage/old bottles or just something to put your milk into? Canning jars work great. I use quart bottles that organic juice comes in, which we use as a drink mixer or to make jelly, and save the bottles. I also got several nice old classy ones at antique/junk stores, poke around....I paid about $3-4 each for my old ones. I went to the hardware store with the bottles and got rubber corks for them. The new corks will impart a rubbery taste to the milk so I use a bit of plastic wrap until the rubber smell disipates over several washings and airings.

Check out your local craigslist, too, or even post an ad there.

Goat of Many Colors

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked Craigs list and ebay. While the antique ones are nice they also want a nice price for them. At this time I am using my 1 quart mason jars but they take up a lot of room. I was hoping for taller and slender bottles.

My niece game me a couple of nice tall one quart bottles for me to put milk in for my great nephew who is allergic to cow's milk. My Mom called her a couple of hours ago to see where she got them. Of all places she bought 100% orange juice in them from the Dollar Tree. I will be going there next week, I'll have the glass bottles and orange juice to boot and all for $1.00 each!

Thanks again for all of your info. I don't get to the flea market often but I'll be looking for the old bottles when I go back just to have some. I also want one of those little glass butter churns. I may be getting a couple of Nubians soon and want to try for some butter. I can get a tiny bit of cream from the Nubian cross I am milking now. I shook enough in a mason jar to make a couple of tablespoons of butter. Just made me want to do more!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I save cream in containers in the freezer and make butter in my stand mixer....just watch out, it will splash all over the place if you walk away from it and it suddenly becomes butter!

Then I freeze this very special butter in 4 oz canning jars for special occasions. If your goats get to eat fresh growing green stuff most of the year, this butter will be very high in vitamins in a form that you can't get anywhere! So enjoy it unheated if possible, and save some for the winter as a nice boost in vitamins A and D.

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
the only place I know to get them is online at localamishfarms.com but they are rather pricey. SO I watch the yard sales and flea markets in the summer and buy my bottles there and only order the lids from the website.

ps how do you separate your cream? I have wanted to make butter but have a hard time getting the cream. I strain through a milk strainer and then we drink it that way is that my problem, that we are drinking the cream?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I can spoon a few tablespoons of heavy cream off the top of bigger jars of milk that I save up for making cheese in larger batches. They are gallon jars. I put some milk in quart bottles for our use. If you disturb the milk, the cream will not separate as well. It is easier to get some cream after the milk sits for 3-4 days in the fridge.

I skim it mostly by feel, as it can be very hard to see a cream line in goat's milk, since it is so white and partially homogenized. I find it easiest to use a plastic measuring tablespoon and skim the entire top of the milk. If I had a small gravy ladle, I bet that would work great, too.

It is supposed to be easier to skim cream if you put the milk in a large shallow pan, but I don't have the fridge room for that!

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yup there is my problem our milk is never in our frig that long it seems to get drank as soon as it is ice cold even when we were getting two gals a day it seemed hard just to have enough to make icecream from. I would have to put a pad lock on the frig :lol:

Thanks for the know how though

samplekasi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
can you post a picture when you get the bottle so I can ask my DT if they carry it. I am a DT shopper and have never seen these but my DT manager will try to get them if they do not have them. I love my DT and the manager is such a sweety!!

Goat of Many Colors

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
samplekasi said:
can you post a picture when you get the bottle so I can ask my DT if they carry it. I am a DT shopper and have never seen these but my DT manager will try to get them if they do not have them. I love my DT and the manager is such a sweety!!
My Mom stopped by the Dollar Tree last week and they didn't have any in stock. She didn't ask if they were going to get more. I will check next week when I make a trip into town. I did find their website so you can see what the bottles look like. I tried the "shop" button on their site but get a message "Coming Soon"

http://www.everfreshjuice.com/Flavors_32oz.php