Goat Housing

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry I'm new at this too! One thing I learned fast was to do your home work before you get the animal. I was very blessed when I came across this group. My hubby surpised me with 2 heifers last christmas(07). And I knew nothing about cows, I knew I loved them but nothing on caring and rasing. My heirfers has been in good health so far, and the small things that I did come across were able to be talked over this group. With pic's and advice , What I thought was so bad was only small stuff. They even came 4th and 5th place this year at the fair. My grandkids are in 4-H. They were small for their age. But again with the advice I think they are closer to the weight they should be. At 15 months they were only at 450 and 475 give and take. Now they at close to 700 and looking good. So Back to the question. Wether is that a boy goat. I thought a buck was. Or wether is like a steer????? It has been fixed??? Thanks

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a pre-existing goat pen of approximately 2 to 3 acres. Already fenced in and everything. There is a lean-to type building out there too... fairly new and in great shape. But it only has two half walls. I don't see that as offering much protection. I may build it in or at least put some heavy duty fencing over it. I'd like to build in at least the third half wall if nothing else. The pen is divided into 2 sections of 1 to 1.5 acres each. I've been letting the vegetation grow all spring long in hopes of getting some goats. There is already a hay feeder present too and some watering troughs although I don't think the troughs are worth a dang. I'll have to replace those. I turned the large metal one upside down to give the goats something to jump onto and play on. There are also two large piles of boulders for them to play on.

I think what I'll do is leave the lean-to as is so that the goats has a bit of protection from rain and sun during the day when they're out grazing and use that for the feeding area of grains and minerals but then build some dog house style "Stables" to lock them into at night when they're unsupervised. I'm looking to get 2 to 4 does and just lease a buck once a year or so.

Any opinions?

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
m.holloway asked:
Wether is that a boy goat. I thought a buck was. Or wether is like a steer????? It has been fixed??
A wether is a castrated male.

A buck is intact.

pattjean said:
But it only has two half walls. I don't see that as offering much protection.
The biggest thing with goats is that they need to be able to get completely out of rain and snow. Most goats hate being wet; and a stressed goat can get sick. It's also good to have wind protection for them so I'd at least make a good three sided structure with a roof. I find that mine prefer a 'real' shed with a small door where they are completely protected from wind and all moisture... but we also live in Colorado with serious thunderstorms and snowstorms.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Mine are in a horse stall. In our New England winter snow storms, I fix the door so it is open just wide enough for the little goaties to squeeze in and out, but not Old Man Winter. I close it all the way at night if it is windy. The door is on the south side and there is some wind protection with nearby brush and a shed on the neighbor's land.

I latch the door wide open most of the time, so they have free access in and out. A second stall is divided into a smaller stall to confine and separate a goat for kidding or for feeding the lactating girl the good stuff overnight. Right now, the baby is in there at night or in bad weather to protect her from possibly being kicked out by the bigger girls.

I am already looking at how to re-divide the space to fit in more goats!!! Eeeek!

Thomas423

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We built this goat house in 100 degree weather. It was so hot but we love our girls. The whole thing was only about $600.

We built the front porch and they love to hang out on it. We are going to expand (widen) the porch since the girls have expanded since we first built it 2 years ago. LOL

The roof overhang was because they don't like rain but it still took them well over a year to figure out that they could step out of the hut and not get wet. They used to stand in the doorway looking out. They are so funny.

Their food bowls are on the right side and bedding is on the left. We use (plastic) coffee cans as water buckets since we are constantly having to give them fresh, "warm" water. They don't like cold water, even in the summer. We usually put the water cans on the front porch and by the gate (when it's not raining).

379_img_0548.jpg

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thomas423 - that is one nice goat home. Nice job.:D

alba

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thomas423 that is a mighty nice shed you have there.
I want a child's Playhouse to use in a similar way. I think it would be the most adorable shed for dwarf goats. Except I want a big one.
Does anyone have any pictures of big playhouses that are reasonable?
Thanks

PS please tell me how wide it is, how deep the house part is and how tall.
How many of what breed can fit in there? I am thinking about an 8'x 8' playhouse. I will probably end up making one since it might be a lot cheaper. Ive got some left over vinyl siding, roof shingles and stain I can dress it up with. Or maybe just 2 colors of wood stain. One for the body and one color for the trim.
Can't decide yet.

I would LOVE to figure out how to dress up a shack/shed to make it look like this playhouse
ginas-cottage-playhouse.jpg