goat kid legs bending backwards?

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know I've seen info on this somewhere, but can't find it right now.

My doe delivered triplets last night with a rough delivery. I had to pull both big boys then a teeny tiny girl came last. The second one is having trouble with his back legs. They bend backwards. I don't have any BoSe, but I did dose him with vitamin E Selenium gel.

Should I be more concerned? Is this something that is very serious or will it get better in the next day or so?

The other two are healthy, but small and the doe is a FF and fairly clueless. They were born just before 1am this morning.

Thanks,
K

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you get a picture... not sure what the bending backwards is looking like.... the problem could be just their positioning inside mom, OR it could be more than that. A key thing is if it is all or only some. If they are truly selenium deficient then all will be. That is usually how it goes.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is normal or fairly common anyway.

If dam raising, keep them in a small pen close to mom and assist every 2 to 3 hours to make sure they are getting enough to eat. They normally straighten up in 2 to 3 days, although I did have one that took almost a week one time.