Goat proof landscaping?

Adam13

Just born
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success with planting their goat yard. We would like to add some green to their yard but well….they’re goats ! Any safe plants that goats don’t generally eat? Any help appreciated. So far have tried catnip, mint, and Oregon grape holly. Thanks. I’m a new member.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it’s something they won’t eat, then it’s probably toxic, poisonous, and could be hazardous. If they have nothing to munch on, they could sample the toxic plants and get sick or die.

How big is their yard? Bear in mind that animals in a small space will reduce it to dirt by eating everything down to the roots or by trampling it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
True! They need to be off of it to establish it. How much space do you have for the project? They prefer variety. Mixture of grasses, clovers, plantains, dandelions....they like. 😊 Yes those "weeds" are good.

How many and how much room? Your general location? Makes a difference in plants, seasons, etc.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nothing that you can plant in that size pen that won't be either eaten or trampled in one or two days back to plain dirt. Can you plant on the outside of the fencing where they can't reach? If you can do that you can disguise the pen that way.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried goats once, decided they weren't for me. 🙄
They fully enjoyed every blooming, fragrant, ornamental & expensive plant they could get a hold of. Also enjoyed the horse's feed, the cat's food & the chicken's food. Did NOT even taste (as far as I could tell) the grape vines, blackberry canes & other nasties that were engulfing my fence lines.... which was the reason I got them.
🐐 🤨

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you both for advice. Herd is 4 adults and 2 kids born about 2 weeks ago. Pen is about 30x40 and they go out to wooded area everyday which is about 200x200.
Totally agree with Ridgetop...that small space is dirt. Even the 200X200 could be stressed. A long established, thick rooted, excellent grass will be enough, with hay in their yard first. Part wooded? If grass still under trees, and these are small breed goats, you will be ok -- but haying. So much depends on what pasture is already well established in the large lot, weather and soil where you live.

I have heavy pastures and live on excellent soil. The mixed grasses are vibrant and weather good. If I lived elsewhere, it might not be so. That's why the approx acre you have may or may not be enough. There's much to consider with pastures.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no goat proof landscaping. Mine are currently peeling the paint off their new shelters (and dropping it) for fun just like they'd be pulling bark off trees. And they have plenty of pasture, grain, and minerals. And thank goodness no horns. It's entertainment. Destroying plants and plant like things are part of the biology and psychology of the goat.