Goat Shag 2024

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey yall! Here we go for the first and final time. I’m not putting an official end date to this but we will start with a 60 day goal.

This thread is to follow the shag growth on my 2024-2025 doe, Frosty. This year I will be using Soft Soap for shampoo, Dove conditioner, and most importantly The Green Stuff as my hair growth spray.

I plan to do shag care every other day to her legs and back 1/3 of her body. I will rinse, conditioner and spray the Green Stuff each time. Once a week I will be using soap to wash her.

Thanks for tagging along!!!! If you love this thread look for my lamb one too!

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Day1

She had good foundation but it’s all falling out because she isn’t used to the heat.

Attachments

• New.png
    New.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So you're doing a sheep & a goat?

I've never seen such leg hair on a goat ... Is THAT something you do in show now? Seems totally out of character for a goat. :idunno
Yep shag is everywhere now. I show a hair doe (she keeps all her hair and I don’t shave it down like a sheep) so she ends up looking like a fluffy show cow.

Here’s a good example of a hair doe in show clip.

Attachments

• IMG_5677.jpeg
    IMG_5677.jpeg
    935.6 KB · Views: 15

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Shag on a goat? Ok, but I have to agree with @Mini Horses it seems out of character for a goat.

Poor thing is suffering in the heat. I know how she feels! Pampering her will surely help. She will get the best of care!
It seems odd but it’s more like a cow than a sheep. We fluff it up with adhesive and shape it. For the dog show people out there think of like a terrier. They don’t have big fluffy boots like a poodle, but they still have fluffy shaped legs.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looong time since showing & shows for me. BUT -- while that goAt pictured is groomed to the "T", as a breeder, I look for confirmation. That "do" hides too much!

Back in the day, mini horses shaved all over! Just couple days before show, enough to have JUST a touch of hair to shine. You saw every curve. 😊

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looong time since showing & shows for me. BUT -- while that goAt pictured is groomed to the "T", as a breeder, I look for confirmation. That "do" hides too much!

Back in the day, mini horses shaved all over! Just couple days before show, enough to have JUST a touch of hair to shine. You saw every curve. 😊
Yes some shows you will have them slick sheared but here it’s not required. I know my goat won’t get crazy fluffy because we live in 95 degree wether half the year. But I would love for her to not be bald lol

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
💯
I love that lambs get slicked even though the lower legs you leave the wool but you can clearly see their whole body. I can't stand those fluffy cows kids have at our county fair that have like 5 inches of hair when they are wet they are like 3 times smaller and most of the time don't really even have good confirmation or look really skinny without all the hair hiding everything.
Sounds like my kind of show😂

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
💯
I love that lambs get slicked even though the lower legs you leave the wool but you can clearly see their whole body. I can't stand those fluffy cows kids have at our county fair that have like 5 inches of hair when they are wet they are like 3 times smaller and most of the time don't really even have good confirmation or look really skinny without all the hair hiding everything.

Sounds like my kind of show😂
I agree it is annoying but if I can hide her excessively large knees I will 😁