Goat Shag 2024

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Honestly I’m kind of used to that, we raise commercial Boers and if they were to be shown you want to leave as much of the hair as possible to make them look bigger, stockier, and thicker. They get a show clip much like shown above. My dairy are on the opposite end of the spectrum and get a sleek almost to the skin shave to accentuate their dairy character and flaunt their conformation.

Here’s an example of one of my 10ish month old Boer does, not a single hair clipped…this is her summer coat and you can see every rippling muscle, she’s as solid as can be.
IMG_0497.jpeg

And one of my ADGA registered Nubian dairy goats, clipped almost to the skin to accentuate every delicate dairy detail and her beautiful conformation.
IMG_0586.jpeg

Honestly clip or no clip, shag or no shag, it all depends on the breed and show standards are changing🤷‍♀️ @Show Sebright I think I’m around your age and honestly standards aren’t what they were for the other people here and maybe they just won’t understand…not a bad thing but shows do change.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
True about the clips, coats, etc. My Boer are selected for the "older" body style, mostly shorter leg and neck. It's a bulkier body look. And being mature they ARE bulkier. 😁 My dairy girls were covered by Boer buck this year. Some of those commercial kids have the longer leg look, compliments if mom. No more showing & such for me. I have registered and commercial animals. Sell kids, support feed bills. More relaxing at my stage of life.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m still in the camp of slick, shiny hair on a goat. This rough coat makes her look wormy. If she was spotted out in the field looking like that, it would be cause for concern. And you are working so HARD to make her fluffy. Don’t want to hurt your feelings on this. If that’s what the judge wants, then make her the fluffiest goat in the ring.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m still in the camp of slick, shiny hair on a goat. This rough coat makes her look wormy. If she was spotted out in the field looking like that, it would be cause for concern. And you are working so HARD to make her fluffy. Don’t want to hurt your feelings on this. If that’s what the judge wants, then make her the fluffiest goat in the ring.
Ha ha I agree it isn’t pretty right now. I will spend time doing some scissor work on her I have been practicing on my cat who is not very pleased. She will be the fluffiest and best looking doe in the ring.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Day 16. She hasn’t changed much. She is losing all her fluffy undercoat from up north. There is nothing I can do about that though.

Attachments

• IMG_6297.jpeg
    IMG_6297.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 32