Goat won’t let other goat eat

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome @CrazyFarmers. Your Donovan is a good looking goat. We BYH-ers are crazy that way. We LOVE our goats!!!

:welcome From NE Texas. So nice to have another goat lover join us. :frow

It would be helpful if you would add your general location to your profile, so it shows up when you post. That is sometimes helpful when you have a question or comment.

CrazyFarmers

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:frow Welcome @CrazyFarmers. Your Donovan is a good looking goat. We BYH-ers are crazy that way. We LOVE our goats!!!

:welcome From NE Texas. So nice to have another goat lover join us. :frow

It would be helpful if you would add your general location to your profile, so it shows up when you post. That is sometimes helpful when you have a question or comment.

I live in Canada :) It gets super cold here so I'm a bit stressed cuz the owner of my barn decided she wants to move offices in there now and wants my goats out by the end of the month!! I've been looking up different housing styles that's kinda why I joined this thing... I've been winging it for a year but I had a big barn with a pen so I was lucky until now lol

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice, Donovan is a Saanen. That's what I have a lot of. :D

They are pretty quiet and really sweet. My buck is named Romeo. He has curls where his horns were disbudded. :D =D There big but generally calm and easy to manage. Speckled noses!

Welcome to BYH, from VA. Lot of goaties on here.

Yeah, in Canada you have to consider housing -- for COLD !

What do you have so far as space for a shed/barn, etc. Adjacent paddock area? Skills, budget, #of animals, etc. Give us some idea of what you are working with & we'll have some suggestions.:yesss:

CrazyFarmers

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a big beautiful barn that was set up perfectly for horses before so my boys had a huge pen (I'm not sure of the square footage) but they had a kids jungle gym thing to climb on and I nailed a bunch of wooden spool and planks to keep them entertained... during the day the door opened to a big fenced in area full of all kinds of goat friendly weeds and grass etc... they have lived here like this for a year ... 2 weeks ago I went away for the weekend and came home the fence was removed, my goats were moved to a small area that I keep my hay and I was told they need to be out by the end of the month.
I am starting from scratch.
I had actually found a home for them but when it came down to it I started bawling and my husband said we can build something on the other side of our house I just don't know what's best to build?!

CrazyFarmers

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I also have a question about the debudding... my big guy is starting to grow his horns back but it seems like it's in two seperate spots?? I have only had him for a year and hes def an older goat... is this normal ? Will his horns grow back? My title guy I got at 3 months but he never got horns? Is he a saanan goat too? Hes the one in my profile pic

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m not an expert on scurs (horns that grow back after an incomplete disbudding), but it sounds, to me, like your big guy has some scurs growing. Sometimes they grow back as small, misshappened horns and sometimes large misshappened horns. With your guy being older than a year, and this is just starting, I wouldn’t think a large scur would form.

My Angelica was the first goat I ever disbudded, and I didn’t do the disbudding iron long enough. So she started getting little horns (scurs) that were around 1” long. They eventually broke off and new little horns grew back. This happened, maybe three or four times. Now she has little nibs, that hardly show. It’s possible your guy has the same issue as my Angelica, and a small horn bud could be growing back.

It would be helpful if you could post photos of several different angles, showing these horns that are growing.