*Goats Milk - Advice Please For a Wanna Be Goat Owner!!

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My DD has been suffering from migraines since the fall. We have tried everything to get them under control. Recently (within the last 2 weeks) we had allergy testing done. It turns out she is HIGHLY allergic to over 25 different grasses, weeds, and trees. (So glad we moved out to the country! :rolleyes: ) I am wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or have heard of raw goats milk helping with allergies? I hope this doesn't sound far fetched.

sunnygoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm going to take a shot at answering this post with a really big "I have no idea what I'm talking about" disclaimer. :p

I'm wondering if the goat eats the plants your daughter may be allergic to, her body would develop natural antibodies, much like giving a vaccine would do.
I've read that when goats eat poison ivy the milk they produce causes the person who drinks it to be immune to the rash. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is it may also work with allergens.
In any case, having your daughter drink fresh goat milk would be good for her anyway! :)

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
While I cannot answer your question with the milk, I have heard that local honey is the best treatment for pollen allergies.

Gosh, I can't imagine. Good luck!

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
sunnygoats said:
I'm wondering if the goat eats the plants your daughter may be allergic to, her body would develop natural antibodies, much like giving a vaccine would do.
That is what I was thinking. I just don't know if it is correct. It sounds good though, doesn't it! :lol:

DouglasPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
helmstead said:
While I cannot answer your question with the milk, I have heard that local honey is the best treatment for pollen allergies.
I do have a call in to someone local who sells honey locally.

Thanks!

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well Kate beat me to the honey answer, but goat's millk may be another good idea. My DW is having some allergy problems, and we have not really consumed much of our goats milk as of yet. Most of it goes to soap making. I will bring this up to Tina tonight. We start milking a Saanen/Oberhasli cross tomorrow morning. She will give us somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 oz a day. If there is the slightest possibility that it could reduce allergy symptoms Tina will be all over it.

Chris

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
DouglasPeeps - I have heard of people with allergies being able to drink goats milk without having reactions BUT I don't know what type of allergies they had. (Other than cow milk allergies which my son has - he can drink our goats milk but can't do cow's milk; even cheese/yogurt made of cows milk.)

I'm hoping someone with personal experience will chime in here.

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I like this theory. I'll certainly be giving it a test run. I have bad seasonal allergies to plants, weeds, grasses, and such. LOL... but amazingly, poison ivy doesn't effect me in any way shape or form. Go figure!

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I thought that goats milk applied to lactose issues...not sure about allergies!
**DISCLAIMER** I really have no clue and am not a doctor :hide

My brother in law was one of those kids....I feel for her and you!:barnie

I also believe in the power of honey!!! The egyptians used it and i have heard great things about its healing properties!!

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sillystunt said:
I thought that goats milk applied to lactose issues...not sure about allergies!
Actually it does. Many people who are lactose intolerant to cows milk (including me!) can drink goats milk with no issues. Some people can't though. And, some people who are allergic to cows milk (like my son) can drink goats milk with no allergic reactions.

The OPs question about whether it will help her daughter's migraines is an interesting one. It might help her to drink goats milk as goats milk as many healthful benefits. It may be that she can drink it over cows milk and not have any worse reactions or less reactions. It may actually help her feel better (both the honey and the goats milk) or not. I know she's going to give both a try.

Another idea is seeing a chiropractor. I know my chiropractor has helped some people with migraines immensely. I also know that all chiropractors are NOT created equal ;) and there are many that I would never let touch me whereas the one I've been seeing for 15 years is fantastic.

Latest posts