Goats/Sheep

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry, I got the terms confused. The bottom line is sheep often carry CL (whatever they call it in sheep) and they can pass it along to the goats, and to you. So running sheep and goats can work for some, and be a disaster for others.

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We run our goats, sheep, llamas, horses, and cattle together.
As of today we haven't had any real issues with them NOT getting along...everyone gets along great. Yes the feeding is an issue when graining. I do have to keep the sheep and llamas outta the other feeds, but our system is working for us in just separating at feeding time. other than that everyone gets along great....

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am going to copper bolus them this once anyway- I follow some of the goat guru's. people that have goats, are willing to share their knowledge and keep in touch with goat programs through major vet universities. I know that my problem is with the mineral that I was able to get here. TSC--still tells me that goats don't need any copper. I get what I can for mineral, but that changes from shipment to shipment. I have only had the copper problem for the last 3 or 4 months. A local elevater is checking on minerals for me. I have gone to Saanandoah website to research copper problems and read how they explain how it works. :D

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
crazygoatlady said:
I am going to copper bolus them this once anyway- I follow some of the goat guru's. people that have goats, are willing to share their knowledge and keep in touch with goat programs through major vet universities. I know that my problem is with the mineral that I was able to get here. TSC--still tells me that goats don't need any copper. I get what I can for mineral, but that changes from shipment to shipment. I have only had the copper problem for the last 3 or 4 months. A local elevater is checking on minerals for me. I have gone to Saanandoah website to research copper problems and read how they explain how it works. :D
Don't get me wrong...I don't think you're going to hurt anybody with a copper bolus or anything like that. As I may have mentioned before, I personally know some folks who bolus their herd once a year with an entire 12.5g copasure calf bolus -- even the kids! If they're big enough to physically take the pill, they get the pill, and they get the whole thing. They've had good results, too, and so have we -- albeit at the lower 1g/22lb dosage.

Copper bolusing is definitely not a waste of time or money in my book, put it that way..

:thumbsup

I was only making the point that after having done it, I've come to believe it's not a good way to manage copper in goats full-time. If you have a somewhat acute copper problem -- which happens, for sure -- then by all means, cram a bolus down their neck. I would totally do (and totally have done) the same thing.

I'm just saying -- to nobody in particular, and totally in regard to the original vein of the thread -- that I wouldn't advise buying sheep feed and mineral with the idea that one can simply cram a bolus down their neck from time to time. After having read a ton on it and having done it, personally, I just don't think that would be anywhere nearly as effective as making sure they have a steady stream of highly-bioavailable copper in their diet and mineral mix.

...which is something I know you're trying hard to do, and I think that's great... :clap

Btw...I share your frustration with TSC. For the most part, they're idiots. :somad

Latest posts