Goats&sheep19s animals and what I'm up to

goats&sheep19

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm really not good at journals and things, so this will probably be rather erratic. (I'm not even sure how to start, lol!)
Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have somewhere to post photos of my animals, and just keep track of what I'm doing.
My goats;
Snowball, she is a rescue rangeland (feral) goat that we heard crying in the near by hills three or so years ago. She was just a couple of days old, and very hungry! I don't know what happened to her mum, or if she just got lost. She is now the boss, and can be a terror around feeding time.
20230623_125625.jpg
Alice, she is Snowballs older daughter, and her dad is an angora. (it was not my idea for Snowball to get pregnant at 8 months old, but our fences were used to angoras, not a determent rangeland, and I don't think it really did her any harm)
20230623_125727.jpg
Snowballs twins from last year,

The boy
20230623_125919.jpg
The girl
20230623_130046.jpg
And Alices baby from last year, (I know, I know, she shouldn't have had that baby, but I never even knew she was in heat, and I didn't think she could get though that fence, She even put herself back)
She was a bottle baby, as Alice didn't do the best job, and I had to take her inside as she got to cold.
20230623_125749.jpg
We also have a couple of angora bucks, which are kept separate, and two little scruffy angora does which are poorly bred and just for pets.
Fortunately this year our fences have held up, along with some new electric fencing, so Alice and particularly Snowball are taking a well-deserved break.

Last edited:

goats&sheep19

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Now the sheep. All the coloured ones are Merinos, and the all white one is some sort of cross.
Max the x bred wether. He is the friendliest of the bunch, particularly if he thinks one has food.
20230623_124533.jpg

Maisy at the front, and at the back left are Margaret and Marigold. (ignore Max)
And in the middle is my latest addition (it would seem sheep math is just as bad as chicken math!) Gizmo the ram.
He is still young, and it is getting a bit late in the year for the ewes, so I doubt I'll get any lambs this year. But I thought it couldn't hurt to try....
20230623_124713.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fortunately you don’t live your life according to what everyone else thinks is the right sheep. Hooray for you! YOU like your colored Merinos and that’s all that matters. I like them too!
Do you spin or knit? They would make awesome sweaters!

goats&sheep19

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Fortunately you don’t live your life according to what everyone else thinks is the right sheep. Hooray for you! YOU like your colored Merinos and that’s all that matters. I like them too!
Do you spin or knit? They would make awesome sweaters!
Thanks! I try to tell myself that, but it gets a bit hard sometimes when everyone thinks you should have a different kind. One perk of having them is they are a lot less likely to get stolen, apparently there have been quite a few sheep being stolen around here lately.
Unfortunately I don't spin or anything, its something I would like to learn how to one day, but don't really have the time in the moment. I really enjoy just working with the wool on the sheep though, like learning how to shear and crutch them.
And hopefully I can sell the wool once I've got a bit better at shearing them!