Goats won't take herbal dewormer

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I purchased the herbal dewormer from Hoegger's. I tried giving it to them plain, they turned their noses up to it. Then I added some goodies like molasses, corn, a little rolled oats, shredded carrots to make what looks like a no-baked cookie. They nibbled a little and sneezed and walked away. I could tell they really Wanted to eat it, but it was a no-go. Any tricks up your sleeve???? Thanks!

and who said goats will eat ANYTHING???

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'd keep trying it, maybe it'll take more than once to get them to take it? The first time I gave my girls the herbal (Molly's) I just drenched it, so I know they got it. Last night I just sprinkled it on food and they nibbled around it and left most of it. SO tonight I will drench it again, but then I am going to make up a dosage ball for the next go round.

Good luck!

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good, I'll be patient. I was glad to get some of it into them, then I just left the rest in their feeder.
How would I do a drench, just add water and squirt it down their throat?? How do you do it??

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought a drench syringe/gun from hoeggars ( I think), mix the wormer with enough water to suck it up the syringe and squirt it in (towards the back so they can't spit it back out). They didn't seem to mind it much.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
nurturingnaturally said:
Yeah, I bought a drench syringe/gun from hoeggars ( I think), mix the wormer with enough water to suck it up the syringe and squirt it in (towards the back so they can't spit it back out). They didn't seem to mind it much.
I use Molly's instead of Hoegger's but I'm sure administration is similar and the above is how I give the herbal wormer to the babies and it worked well. For my adult does, the first time I gave it to them for each doe I added 1 Tbsp wormer, 1/2 Tbsp molasses, and 1/2 Tbsp. slippery elm powder. I mixed that together until it made a dough like consistancy and broke it into two separate little balls. Then I rolled them each in just a sprinkling more of slippery elm powder - just to coat them so they weren't so sticky to handle. My goats gobbled them up that way. After that I just sprinkled it on their feed and they ate it.

damummis

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My wormer from Hoegger's just came today. Thanks for the tips.

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I was reading on Molly's Herbals that Worm Wood in a dewormer is not safe for pregnant or lactating does. What's your experience with this?? Hoegger's has this in it, now I'm concerned. One doe is pregnant the other I'm milking.

http://fiascofarm.com/herbs/wormer.htm

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't deworm them until I had a fecal test done. You know, grab some poop and take it to the vet to do a worm count and find out what kind of worms. Then he can suggest what to do if they do indeed have worms.

I don't know about the herbal wormer. I gave it to my goats last year, but they still had worms. I think it matters what kind/size of goats, what kind of lot or pasture they are in and your location in the US.

I take a fecal in to my vet in Spring, Summer and Fall and dose according to my vet's instructions.

DonnaBelle

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They seem very healthy. Only thing I noticed is that the togg has real clumpy poop but then again she just kidded last week. Maybe it's just her body recovering.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
I wouldn't deworm them until I had a fecal test done. You know, grab some poop and take it to the vet to do a worm count and find out what kind of worms. Then he can suggest what to do if they do indeed have worms.

I don't know about the herbal wormer. I gave it to my goats last year, but they still had worms. I think it matters what kind/size of goats, what kind of lot or pasture they are in and your location in the US.

I take a fecal in to my vet in Spring, Summer and Fall and dose according to my vet's instructions.

DonnaBelle
But with the herbal wormers, your using it as a preventative more often than as a fix, so you DO want to use it if the fecal comes back clean. If I had a fecal come back showing worms, unless it was a very mild case, I would reach for the ivomec or whatever would be suitable. The herbals are preventative measure - so we hopefully don't have to use the stronger stuff.