Goats won't take herbal dewormer

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Georgiamainers said:
They seem very healthy. Only thing I noticed is that the togg has real clumpy poop but then again she just kidded last week. Maybe it's just her body recovering.
They will often have a big bloom of worms right after kidding, so I just worm with a heavy dose of the wormwood blend and watch them closely, and do a fecal a few days later. It has worked for me. I do have Ivomec in the fridge just in case and have used it on occasion.

You can also make the herbal balls by mixing with molasses and coating with slippery elm bark powder. Restrain the goat and stuff those balls way, way back and hold the mouth shut, but hold the head level. Hold your hand in front of the mouth as they can still work the stuff out of their mouths even with you holding it shut! I found that most (not all) of my goats either took it willingly after they got a taste this way, or still made me work to get it into them but didn't argue at all.

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Guess I should change the title of the thread because they are gobbling the herbal wormer down now! :p I'm going to stop giving it to the pregnant doe until she kids. They do not like it mixed with their grain, but instead with rolled oats, mollasses, and some carrot/pear chunks.

Thanks for the tips!

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
freemotion said:
They will often have a big bloom of worms right after kidding, so I just worm with a heavy dose of the wormwood blend and watch them closely, and do a fecal a few days later. It has worked for me. I do have Ivomec in the fridge just in case and have used it on occasion.
I was a little nervous with this kidding season and while I know the herbs can work I wanted to make sure they were working for us - I just had my vet run a fecal on Ariel yesterday, 3 weeks post kidding and there was only one egg found. Looks like the herbals are still cuttin' it!