Goopy Eyes

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Bon, stop. You're tearing me apart! :hit You know how I feel about my sheepies. :( I refuse to get attached to the goats.

Yep it's genetic, and we had already discussed how #16, the mom, probably wouldn't be kidding again here. But then again, if it skips generations then there is hope for her! Also, it wasn't that big of a deal to have the vet fix it. If it fixes it, and I suspect it will, they will be just fine! So maybe we will keep #16! :clap

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
In dogs it is considered to be a genetic issue...but not always, sometimes it has to do with the head structure. You may have a litter of 8 pups and none have it or you may have 8 pups and 1 or 2 may. It can show up anywhere anytime.

I would imagine sheep might be the same.... I would wait and see it this is something with this particular animal (momma). If she has other issues or has had other issues in her or her offspring I would cull. Look closely at the buck.

I am glad you were able to get it taken care of so quickly.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well Southern, our buck Mikey had 8 kids this week (so far). Only 2 from the same mom were affected, so I suspect it was her. I'd love to see the article Straw, if you can find it!

I'm relieved we got the kids to the vet today, too. :D

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry Bridge...don't want to tear you apart...just saying...you can do things differently than I did first go around...I was so stupid! You will be smart about all that and do fine :hugs

SillyChicken

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Four Winds Ranch said:
Eye entropion!:(
I have never had a case of this yet! But, I believe, if you flip them out and can't get them to stay, you would probably have to get a vet to put a clip to draw the skin together, which keeps the eyelid flipped the proper way. Unless you would be comfortable doing it yourself! I know the vets around here will sell people the clips to administer themselves.
probably an antibiotic ointment put on the area a couple times a day, wouldn't be a bad idea either!
There may be other things you can do, that i don't know about. Maybe someone else will read your post and give you some different ideas!
Good luck!!!!;)
I know I'm kinda jumping in, not meaning to do it just to correct.. but... entropion is when the lid curls in, ectropion is when it curls out. Both generally require vetting. Not doing anything can lead to eye damage (scaring with entropion and infection/foreign bodies with ectropion) So if her kids eye lid is flipping out, it's ectropion and could explain the goop. It is also a genetic issue... so repeat breeding of the same or siblings may need to be reconsidered. I dealt with this issue which is common with mastiffs.

I'm glad you got your lamb fixed and he's doing well I hope!

I'm going to be breeding my goats for the first time so I'm researching!!

Latest posts