Got A New Litter Today! - New Pics of litter in Reply #17

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
A NZW bred to a NZR will often give NZ Blacks. That has been the starting point for many breeders of NZBs.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the litter. Born on Monday, 10/17. All doing well, zero mortality thus far!

The token group photo:
3823_october_22_2011_031.jpg

Three Kits are colored like this:
3823_october_22_2011_035.jpg

The rest are looking to be coal black:
3823_october_22_2011_034.jpg

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OOOOO... you didn't get red, but you did get... errrmm... well copper or sandy or castor or agouti LOL So many breeds have a different name for that color, not sure what NZ people would call it.
We used to raise Satins... I found out I have a problem with color. I want to keep all the cool colors and try to breed better color and try crossing this color to this color and we just didn't have the room for all the varieties. So, we ended up selling all the satins and sticking with Champagnes and Giant Chins. Both come in 1 variety. We still have our meat mutts though... so I can play with a FEW different colors :D

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Congratulations! They are so precious! Thanks for sharing.

I'm partial to the black one! Love the sleek, shiny coat. :)

cottinpickin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
pretty babies.The Agouti aka chestnut,sandy,castor is the base color of all rabbits.it is the "wild" color comming from the origin of all domestic rabbits the cotton tail.So that color will pop up especially when crossing colors.pink/red eye white is most recessive color so rew to rew always makes rew but it can be hiding other colors.so when you breed rew to other color you can get interesting results.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here are the kits at 4 weeks. They got moved into their grow out pen today.

This one has the most NZR coloring.
3823_november_19_2011_011.jpg

3823_november_19_2011_013.jpg

3823_november_19_2011_007.jpg

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our NZW doe Strawberry just had two red kits and two black (one broken) kits today--sire Hazel is red. We are head over heels in love with the broken! We are lucky to have two red kits and Daddy is gorgeous red. We will probably keep the broken black for both black and broken genes. We breed for meat and for showmanship/pet. This was Strawberry's first litter so it was small but we can't wait to see the colors once they grow older.

CYG

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
brentr: Boy they are growing like Weeds! Beautiful babies. Really like that NZR.

CYGChickies: Congratulations on Strawberry's successful kindling!

:)