Got Our Buck

scrambledmess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think we got a decent deal on this little guy. He had horns which is the one thing I didn't want. I am hoping someone can give us advice on if they can be rubberbanded or not?

Anyway, she sold him to me a bit cheaper, so she said, because no one wants a pygmy with horns. I honestly think she didn't offer him as low as she would have. She wanted me to make an offer and I really really had no idea. She said, I wouldn't insult her, but apparently I did. I really went under what she wanted. But I was also going by what she told me as her base price for a buck.

I went ahead and got him anyway, because I kept thinking about getting one later as a bottle baby. I wouldn't have any place to put a single tiny bottle baby. I couldn't put it with anyone else, it would have cost more, and I would have had to buy milk for it... So yeah, in the long run cheaper.

His blood lines are great! I have no idea if he is, but his pedigree is really nice! I wasn't prepared to bring a buck home that day, so I had nothing with me. I really thought I was going to just put a down payment on a possible, kwim.

Anyway, I have no pictures of him yet. He is a real cutie though!

Here are pictures from the her website:

He was pretty young here. He is now 9 months with horns you can actually see ;)

IMG_20101007_232845.jpg.opt279x221o0,0s279x221.jpg

Here is his pedigree:

http://www.rolliepolliepygmies.com/resources/Pedigree for ROLLIE POLLIE PYGMIES JAXOM.htm

This is his sire:

PGCHAwesomeQuality.jpg

And his dam:

midnight.jpg

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't know much 'bout pygmy pedigrees, but the parents DO look real nice, like 'true' pygmies.

'Grats!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
scrambledmess said:
I think we got a decent deal on this little guy. He had horns which is the one thing I didn't want. I am hoping someone can give us advice on if they can be rubberbanded or not?

Anyway, she sold him to me a bit cheaper, so she said, because no one wants a pygmy with horns.
Congratulations!

I know that some people do band the horns...never done it myself...I would rather take him to the vet and have him dehorned if it were me.

The thing about horns in pygmies is if you are going to show them you don't want the horns.

I prefer to have horns on my pygmies, especially the bucks. That's my personal choice.

His parents look nice...like Roll Farm said...true pygmy look.

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Congratulations! We have our vet take off big scurs and have had him take off a buck's horns before without any problems. He puts them under general.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
If you're going to do anything, do it soon...you don't want an open head wound in spring / summer / fly season.

AND...make sure that he's UTD on CDT before anything's done.

A good friend of mine lost a doe to tetanus after dehorning years ago. She said the vet cut them off w/out asking about the goat's vaccination status...(she hadn't been) and 11 days later the goat was locked up w/ tetanus. She ended up losing her. :(

I was amazed her vet didn't automatically give the antitoxin at the time, if he wasn't sure she'd been vaccinated...but that's beside the point.

scrambledmess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is what my BIL told me that I had to do it now if I was going to do it or I will be waiting until late fall. I have to get through the next two weeks of work before I do anything though. I have picked up a ton of days. I can't really count on others to do things for me, kwim?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
They look fabulous! He's gonna be nice!

He's at a good age for banding, but also young enough that someone experienced could disbud him...

Or, once he's banded and the horns have fallen off you can burn the buds. Kids that young banding takes usually only around 30 days and there's almost no sinus hole.

cstafford93514@yahoo.com

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The sooner the better if you are gonna do anything about those horns. I have used horse nippers AND a disbudding iron with great success. Use the nippers to remove as much horn as possible and apply the iron right after. The hot iron carterizes (sp) the wound while killing the blood supply to the horn.
The main thing is do not put it off.
Good luck
Carol